PDA

View Full Version : At what age can a baby/toddler use a pillow?..

luvfrog
01-07-2003, 02:52 PM
Hi,

I hope I have posted this in the right place. I have a 16 month old daughter who sleeps in her crib for naps and starts off there at night and then ends up in our bed. I have noticed that when she comes into our bed she wants to sleep with here head on the pillow. I was wondering what age it is okay to put a pillow in the crib? I have noticed that some toddler bed sets I have seen in the store say for ages 18mo+ and they include a pillow case.

Thanks for any help!

Alicia

twins r fun
01-07-2003, 11:12 PM
Wondering this myself. Jacob (14 months) would love a pillow. He always bunches up his blankie bear and lays his head down on it. Very cute, but probably not too comfy!

Nicole

daisymommy
01-08-2003, 06:50 PM
I haven't actually read up on this topic myself (my DS is only 4 months old.) However, I worked in daycare/preschools for 12 years, and will tell you that state licensing and saftey codes mandated that no child under two have a pillow. I'm guessing this is because they could get their head under it and sufocate. I did notice that alot of the 1 1/2 year olds would take their blankets and bunch them up under their heads as well though. We were constantly having to pull the blankets down from around their heads area, and tuck them below their arms.
HTH

alandenisefields
01-09-2003, 01:52 PM
Alicia,

Thanks for using our message boards!

We think the answer is probably 18 months to 2 years of age. Can't remember when we let our kids have a pillow, but we think it was when they went to a toddler bed. Your best bet is to call your pediatrician's office and ask them.

This is a question we might should answer in either the Baby Bargains or Toddler Bargains books. We'll try to get a difinitive answer.

best wishes,

alan and denise fields
authors, BABY BARGAINS