PDA

View Full Version : When can a baby use a blanket in the crib?

tj
01-19-2003, 01:16 PM
My dd is 12 months old and I am wondering what other parents use as blankets or comforters at night for their babies. Especially if you live in a cold climate. We keep our home at 70 degrees but my dh and I use heavy comforters and my dd usually has a onesie on underneath her flannel pajamas and then I use a cotton knit blanket over her but it does not seem very warm to me.
I'd love to hear what others are using out there.
Thanks!

twins r fun
01-19-2003, 06:39 PM
My twins' turned 1 at the end of October and I've been putting a blanket in their cribs since it got cold. I don't see it as any type of hazard anymore since they are so mobile, but it does nothing for wartmth for this same reason. They've usually rolled, kicked, or pulled the blanket off before I leave the room! I don't have any other ideas for you, though. I wonder sometimes if my boys are cold, but they seem to sleep fine so I figure it must not be too bad.

Nicole

KathyO
01-19-2003, 10:44 PM
Our house is cool too (bedrooms frequently around 60 degrees) so I dress DD in a cotton sleeper with a hooded fleece bunting on top. I use the kind with legs because she likes to get up and wander around the crib in the morning. It saves me from getting up to put the blankets back on her all the time. RuggedBear.com has a Polartec bunting on sale in their clearance section right now for $29.99, but if your house is up around 70 degrees you probably want something a little lighter.

HTH!

Cheers,

KathyO

mspacman2
01-20-2003, 01:10 AM
At my dd's 1 year checkup, I asked the ped if I could give her blankets and a pillow, and she said go right ahead.

Her fleece receiving blankets are too small to tuck in around the crib mattress, so I went shopping for something larger. I found fleece throws in character patterns in the kid's dept. at Bed Bath & Beyond (had a 20% off coupon) and they fit just right and are very warm. I got a couple Hello Kitty throws which she loves. For a "pillow" I just folded up one of her old receiving blankets.

shopaholic mom
01-23-2003, 07:13 AM
My DD is 12 months and we've been using sleep sacs since about 6 months. They are great - I discovered them in London, where they are very popular (actually all over europe) and then just picked up a thin fleece one at BuyBuyBaby (it has "Back to Sleep" embroidered on one side of the chest) - I have also seen the same ones at Right Start. A friend who knows I like them also sent me to a web site called http://www.grobag.com the selection isn't the most beautiful, but they have a lot of different weights.

They are very practical b/c they can't be kicked off. You put the baby in it - like a sleeveless bunting (no hood) - zips down the front. Roomy enough that she can move around to get to standing in her crib in the morning when we get her.

Also, you control the temperature depending on how many or few layers you put on underneath. When its warm, I just use a onesie and a cotton sleep sac, but when its cold, I use a long sleeve onesie, gap cotton pjs and the fleece sleepsac.

Hope this helps.

danak2002
02-01-2003, 01:04 AM
my son is also one years old and I have been using a light blue baby blanket and when it is really cold I use a winnie the pooh comforter I got at the christmas tree shop for thirteen dollars and looks and feels great.I would not shell out big bucks for a comforter that are "name brand",