PDA

View Full Version : Curtain Dilemma

ScrapNancy
01-21-2003, 09:37 PM
I want to put up some curtains to soften the hard lines of the white faux wood plantation blinds that we have on the window in the nursery. Because they are white they do a good job of privacy but let it quite a bit of light glow. Should I put up curtains over them that are room darkening or just decorative? How dark should I worry about making the room for daytime napping?

Can you tell I'm going to be a first time mom? LOL Thanks for all your help!

Nancy EDD 5/16/03

egoldber
01-21-2003, 09:46 PM
I have very similar style wood blinds in my nursery. (We inherited ours from the previous homeowner.) We don't have anything over them and Sarah sleep just fine. Personally, I think it's a good thing for a baby to learn to sleep with ambient light. But if it seems to really disturb your baby's sleep, you can always add curtains later.

HTH,

nohomama
01-21-2003, 10:17 PM
I agree. If you repeatedly put a baby to sleep in a room that's dark and quiet, chances are you'll end up with a baby who won't be able to sleep unless its dark and quiet. Go for decorative over room darkening.

cathybcomer
01-23-2003, 11:54 AM
We've got the same blinds, but my concern was more the fact that when they're open (which I like, because I love having sunlight), the whole neighborhood would see me because the window faces the street. I also wanted something a little decorative and soft.

I ended up putting up a "puff" valence across the top and some inexpensive sheer white curtains underneath. It looks great, doesn't cut out much light, and still provides a bit of privacy with the blinds open. (Oh, and so you don't have to install two separate curtain rods, you can get double rods that allow you to do exactly this.) I'll post a picture after I get my digital camera recharged!

twins r fun
01-23-2003, 12:06 PM
As for lighting, I think your baby will get used to whatever you want. My poor babies have nothing on their windows-no shades, curtains, blinds. They get direct sunlight in the afternoon and just snooze away. We had intended to put something up but bedrest interfered before the birth and in the year since they were born, we're lucky if we get laundry put away, let alone decorate! They don't seem to care, though.

Nicole