PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Ultimate Crib Sheet snap question! Don't laugh...

cathy419
02-10-2003, 12:40 PM
Because of all the great posts about the Ultimate Crib Sheet, I bought one over the weekend. I've been trying to put it on the crib and am confused about some of the snaps. First, on the headboard/footbard portion of the pad, it has a long elastic band with two extra snaps (instead of just one snap, like on all four corners and the middle of the longer sides). Why? Is this supposed to be removed (which it can be, because this one isn't sewn on) used on a section where the regular elastic bands won't fit? (For example, I can't get the small elastic band around the four corners of the crib, which are too big, so I've snapped them around the closest slat. This has made the sheet a bit bunched up. Is this okay/safe?)

Sorry to sound like such a dope. If there were actually instructions that explained this, I guess I sound even more like a dope, because I ripped off the wrapper and tossed it when I got it (foolishly assuming I could put a sheet on a crib without help :))

egoldber
02-10-2003, 06:14 PM
Hmm. Mine doesn't have the extra, long strap at the end. I think that added that later for "safety", but I think mine are perfectly safe. I would imagine that they are supposed to stretch all the way around the headboard.

The way I install mine it is I lay it in the crib and make sure it is flat. I then snap the snaps so that the crib sheet stays flat. I don't really pay attention to which slat I am attaching it to. I just make sure that the sheet doesn't bunch up and that it stays flat and taut.

HTH,

August Mom
02-10-2003, 06:21 PM
Hopefully someone out there who actually has an Ultimate Crib Sheet with these straps can help you. But, if not, and if you really want to know, I think a trip back to the store and a look at the packaging will answer your question. I was looking at one of these the other day, trying to decide whether I wanted to buy one and I remember a mention of these extra straps. Unfortunately, I don't remember exactly what you are supposed to do with them. They are supposed to provide added safety to the sheet. They somehow attach at the head and foot of the crib, but unfortunately I can't tell you how.

Momof3Labs
02-10-2003, 07:07 PM
I have this sheet but don't use it (not soft enough for Colin), but here's what I think:

Those end straps are made to go around your head/footboards. But some cribs have solid head/footboards. In that case, you want to remove those straps (thus they are snapped on, instead of sewn on).

As for the side straps, I would put them around the closest slat, stretching them a bit if necessary to get a snug, smooth fit.

Hope this helps!

Lori & Colin 9/28/02

cathy419
02-11-2003, 07:03 PM
Thanks for your responses. I think a trip to look at the packaging may be in order! My sister uses these and didn't have that extra-long strap. This must be a new thing...

egoldber
02-11-2003, 07:32 PM
Hi! I happened to be in BRU today and took a look at the "new" UCS. And my response.. ICK!

I feel terrible for recommending these now! The new versions are very scratchy, as Lori has commented. I was with another mommy friend and she also commented that this product now feels very different! We couldn't believe it!

So I can't help you on the strap, but I do suggest feeling them and making sure that this product is for you.

HTH!

Momof3Labs
02-11-2003, 11:28 PM
Beth, thanks for checking this out at BRU! I went back and felt mine a few times after you talked about how soft yours was, and I just couldn't figure it out. Sounds like they made some changes for the worse!

On the other hand, the Sheet Savers are still nice and soft - I like using these!

gour0
02-12-2003, 11:42 PM
The end straps are supposed to go around the metal base under the mattress. I'm not sure what I'll do with mine because my crib skirt is in the way! Maybe I'll make a small slit in the skirt... haven't really decided. HTH. :)

bnme
02-13-2003, 06:20 AM
Anyone use the newer less-soft sheets? How do they washup?

I actually bought one a few days ago but hadn't opened the package yet. Now that I have I am thinking of returning it! I just like the fact that its the full-size, unlike sheet savers
Oh well.

egoldber
02-13-2003, 08:38 AM
To be honest, it felt like most any other woven cotton or poly/cotton blend sheet fabric. If you have a woven cotton or poly/cotton sheet, it will probably feel similar. If you don't then they probably will not feel as soft. I am just so used to the flannel like feel that mine have that it was pretty shocking.

natividad
02-14-2003, 01:44 AM
I received two of these for my shower and after this discussion, I opened one. Indeed, the fabric does not feel very soft. I read the label and yep, it is 80% poly 20% cotton.

Naty (March 03)

Momof3Labs
02-14-2003, 10:16 AM
I used one once. It washed fine, I guess, but didn't get any softer. Colin's flannel sheets are soooo soft and it seemed silly to cover the soft sheets with this piece of sandpaper (ok, I'm exaggerating a little) so I stopped using it.

I like the fact that it is full-size, too, and it is so much easier to change than the crib sheet, but I can't justify my convenience over Colin's comfort!

gour0
02-14-2003, 11:30 AM
What if you sewed a peice of flannel over your UCS? Then Colin could be comfy and you could have the convenience.

natividad
02-14-2003, 12:25 PM
Hi Lori,
What do you use in place of the UCS then (to protect the mattress that is)? I am thinking of returning the UCS for a waterproof pad.
TIA!

Naty (March 03)

bnme
02-14-2003, 01:37 PM
I am using waterproof pads right now, but had bought the UCS since the pads don't attach and I think the attached ones are better as they get more mobile. I am not sure if that is really an issue, though since the weight/fabric of the pads makes them pretty stationary.

I am thinking of using the USC with a sheet saver by his face becuase the sheet savers look much softer.

Is this overkill?? I just really don't want to have to change a sheet at night but I want baby to be comfy too.

Momof3Labs
02-14-2003, 02:01 PM
Naty,

I use the sheet savers, but now that he is moving a lot in his crib, they don't do as much good. We haven't had a problem with diaper leaks at night, only little spit ups. So far, I've managed by just moving him to the other end of the crib (I keep a sheet saver tied to each end) if he spits up at one end during the night. I do have a waterproof pad underneath the sheet, just in case.

Stacy,

That would probably work; what I'm actually toying with is making something like the UCS out of fleece. I already bought the fleece and just need to find the time to pull it together. It's just frustrating, though, after spending $18 on the UCS, to have to go and spend more time and money making it into something that is usable...

gour0
02-15-2003, 08:25 PM
I know what you mean! But, I have tons of soft Queen size sheets and no longer have a queen size bed SO I have lots of material to play with! I already made a double sided flannel blanket 42x42. And, I have THREE UCS's so if softness becomes an issue, I guess it will be up to me to fix it! :) Wish I had seen that zip thing first! It looks easier and it's 100% cotton.