PDA

View Full Version : Help! Do I really need to put a crib bumper in my crib?

babybabybaby
02-28-2003, 12:25 PM
I love the crib I picked out so much that I don't want to destroy the lines with a crib bumper. Do I really need one? Thanks.

Momof3Labs
02-28-2003, 05:22 PM
Absolutely not! In fact, even if you got one, you probably wouldn't use it long - you are supposed to remove bumpers when babies start pulling themselves up, so they can't use the bumper as a stepstool to climb out of the crib.

Tanya
02-28-2003, 07:15 PM
Nope, I'm not getting one. In fact "they" aren't even recommending them anymore because of the possible risk of SIDS. Think about it, you aren't supposed to put pillows or blankets in the crib, but it's okay to put a bumper in?

My mom is all concerned that my baby will bump its head or get its arms and legs caught, but I'll take my chances with that over suffocation.

One of my friends said they recently removed all bumpers from a daycare center after one of the babies got tangled up in the bumper and died.

And like the other person said, you have to remove the bumpers when the baby can use it as a "step". So, when the baby is actually doing all its moving you have to remove the bumper.

Tanya

AngelaS
03-02-2003, 04:25 PM
No. 5 years ago when I had dd#1, my pediatrician said not to use them as baby's can suffocate against them. So I haven't used one for either of my girls. And when I had dd #2 in May 02, the handout from the hospital also discouraged their use.

ecarley
03-12-2003, 09:28 PM
Nope! They're purely decorative. Add that to the fact that they're a potential hazard and expensive, we decided to skip them. And I'm glad we did!

kapow
03-12-2003, 09:47 PM
I'm on the flip side - I'm using a loaner crib, so I don't care much about its appearance, but I found fabrics that I absolutely love and I'm going to make my own bumpers.

jhorton
05-12-2003, 10:40 AM
I definitely would recommend one... my son was all over the place in his crib after a couple of months (once he could roll over) and would constant hit his head on the side. I guess you could hold off to see what kind of sleeper your baby is? I just felt better knowing he wouldn't hurt his little head on the wood?

Jennifer Horton
Zach's Mom 08/16/01

vluckey
05-13-2003, 12:26 PM
I agree that you need to see what type of sleeper your baby will be. Also, you might want to add some additional fasteners to make sure that the bumper is on tight. I find that many of them just to fasten well to the crib. My baby is due on Saturday, I haven't gotten around to doing this myself, but I plan on it. We have a bassinet for the first few weeks, so I have time.