PDA

View Full Version : Blankets or sleepsacks... and bumpers... HELP!!!

Skatterfly
03-08-2003, 01:56 AM
Hey ladies and hopefully some of you veteran moms. I'm completely confused and panicked.

I am due in 3 weeks. I did my childcare classes at the hospital where I'm delivering. We were told that bumpers were generally OK until about 6 months and that lightweight (loose weave) blankets were also OK in the crib as long as they were tucked under the mattress and below the baby's waist.

The childbirth class was taught by a NICU nurse who is also a mom of 2... and she was careful to give us practical tips. I completely trust her.

So the confusion came for me when I took an infant CPR class at a different hospital closer to my house... it's a much more "corporate" hospital that seems to believe a little more in the "cover their asses" philosophy... and the CPR instructor insisted that we should NOT have bumpers in the crib and to ONLY use sleep sacks, NO blankets at all.

So now I'm just completely confused and panicked.

What do you think? Is this just a common difference in opinion among parents... or is there REALLY a clear cut yes or no answer on these two topics.

I want to do it "right" and maybe the answer is that there is no clear cut "right" answer.... and maybe I'll just learn how to use my own instinct?

Arrrrrrrgggghhh.

Thanks in advance,
Kat

August Mom
03-08-2003, 06:18 AM
I'm not too much of a veteran mom (6 months) :), but my understanding is that using no blankets is preferred (unless using them for swaddling) and that using a light blanket tightly tucked under the mattress and covering only the lower end of the crib (not higher than the baby's chin when the baby is situated with his or her feet at the foot of the crib) is second best. We swaddled DS for the first week or two and he slept in the bassinet next to our bed. He has never had a blanket of any sort in the crib. But, he has worn a Halo sleep sack ever since we stopped swaddling. I love the sleep sacks. They wash extremely well, seem comfortable and keep DS warm, but not too hot. HTH

Momof3Labs
03-08-2003, 09:49 AM
There are no clear-cut right or wrong answers here - it depends on who you talk to.

We have a bumper but haven't really needed it - in fact, it is coming out soon. And we've used sleep sacks, just because Colin won't stay under a blanket.

Know what is safe and unsafe, but your instincts will take over! It is NOT worth panicking over - you will get lots of contradictory safety advice as a mom!

shibababy
03-09-2003, 02:40 PM
Hi, I have always swaddled with blankets, using the gowns or footed sleepers. Now that this baby is older, (9mths) I only use footed sleepers because 1) she won't stay under a blanket 2)I sleep better knowing that she stays warm in her sleeper and not having to get up to put the blanket back on her or worry that the blanket is smothering her. Once, I did put a blanket on her when she was able to move around, sit up, stande, etc so felt it was safe, well, I walked into the room and the blanket was wrapped over her head. NEVER again will I put the blanket on her.

As far as the bumpers go, I don't understand the panic with these. My baby has always loved to roll to the corner of the crib and sleep there. She has never been smothered by a bumper because by the time she's able to move over to where the bumper is, she's also capable of moving her head away from suffocation. Remember, the top of the crib is totally open for air and there is still air penetrating between the mattress and the bumper.

ywolf
03-10-2003, 01:16 AM
I just went to a Lamaze class. And asked the same question. The instructor said if you tie the bumper on the right way it's good because it prevents the baby from knocking into the wood. Also - Not to use a comforter. A blanket is fine and a sleep sack is good too, it just might be too hot. So everybody has a different opinion. I think the thing to stay away from is something a baby can get tangled up into and that also depends on the way the baby itself sleeps. Every child is different. I think I will use a bumper and lightweight sleep sack until I know if the baby moves around alot in the sleep and maybe introduce a blanket after a careful watch.

sweetbasil
03-11-2003, 11:30 AM
Hi, and congrats!
We swaddled DS for the first few months, then put a light, gauzy blanket in there with him, but tucked it around the lower half of his body. It's so light, it's easy to breathe through and not a smothering concern for us. The blanket sleepers were great, too, and quite cozy....your instinct will kick in pretty quickly, though. Best wishes!

nicknack
03-11-2003, 02:08 PM
I love the idea of those HALO sleepsacks, but I've been wondering, what does the baby wear underneath them? A onesie? Just a diaper?
Thanks!
Nicole

August Mom
03-11-2003, 02:34 PM
My DS wears cotton sleepers underneath. We did this when it was warm outside also because we have AC. Others I know use onesies in the summer. The HALO sleepsacks also come in different weights. There are both cotton and fleece sleepsacks. HTH

ecarley
03-12-2003, 09:18 PM
Relax!! You'll hear a lot of different stuff about these things.

The official word from the AAP is no blankets, just sleepers. But as you can see, many parents are comfortable using a blanket tucked in or swaddling. Since warmer weather is coming, it probably won't be much of an issue. Jammies alone should be enough. And by the time cool weather arrives (if you're in a cooler climate), your little one will be big enough to use a tucked blanket. We used a Land's End coverlet. Go with your instincts.

No group has come out outright against bumpers, as far as I know. But my own opinion is that they are purely decorative and can be a hazard, so I didn't bother. Plus they're expensive! So for us it made sense to skip them altogether. While some say they keep arms and legs from getting stuck or the baby hitting the wood, the truth is that A: they should be removed long before the baby is that mobile, and B: putting an arm through the crib slats is not going to be life-threatening.

There will be lots of issues like this as you raise your little munchkin. Just do the research, as questions, and follow your instincts. You'll do fine!