PDA

View Full Version : Room darkening shades or curtains

Cara
03-10-2003, 02:37 PM
Can some of you guide me to websites or stores which would have darkening shades or curtains for nurseries and kids rooms? I can only find sheers and valances, but I really want darkening or "black-out" fabric (no wood blinds).

Karenn
03-10-2003, 03:55 PM
We bought "black out shades" at Lowes Hardware. They're very basic, very inexpensive ($13.00) shades. They're a sort of vinyl and are entirely unfashionable, but they keep the light out.

babybabybaby
03-11-2003, 12:54 AM
smithandnoble.com

nohomama
03-11-2003, 05:07 AM
Just some food for thought... Babes can be creatures of habit. If you put your little one down to sleep in a dark, quiet room to sleep, you may find that he/she will ONLY sleep in a dark, quiet room. I purposely have always put Lola down to nap variety of environments (dark, light, quiet, not quiet, etc.) and consequently, if she's tired, she'll sleep ANYWHERE.

That said, I get the Smith and Noble catalog, and they do have some lovely stuff. Thery're not inexpensive but I imagine their quality is excellent (though I've wanted to, I've never ordered from them).

sweetbasil
03-11-2003, 11:27 AM
Cara,
I've gotten DS's shades on www.windowvisions.net
The cordless upgrade worked really well for us in the nursery- definitely worth the extra $. Plus, that site always has special sales, and they list their discount codes on the site- you don't have to go looking far for them!

In just checking their site, it looks like they've just added Hunter Douglas as a new option, so you could check those prices, but I've used their Honeycomb/Cellular blackout in our first nursery, and their Honeycomb/Cellular room darkening in this house's nursery (for the same reason Sarah mentioned- to avoid DS getting picky about sleep conditions in other places) and have been very happy with both.

HTH!

schums
03-11-2003, 12:15 PM
We got our room darkening shades at JC Penny. Reasonable prices and good quality. Plus, if you wait until they are having one of their white/home sales, you can get even better prices. I think we got ours at 50% or 60% off.

Sarah

Rachels
03-12-2003, 09:32 AM
You can get great stuff at www.abwf.com -- great prices, excellent customer service, quick delivery.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

ecarley
03-12-2003, 09:08 PM
We have heavy vinyl pull shades also, 12 bucks at Home Depot, and custom cut on the spot for free. But they aren't perfect by any stretch! There is a streetlight at the front of the house which gives a lot of light bleed. So along with the pull shades we'll have a set of homemade curtains that should get all of that under control.