PDA

View Full Version : Mobiles. . .a necessity?

MartiesMom2B
03-12-2003, 09:21 PM
I registered for the Tiny Love Symphony in Motion mobile and didn't receive it. I was going to buy it at BRU last weekend, but I noticed on the box that the age is for up to 5 months. It's hard for me to justify to buy a $40.00 mobile for only 5 months, when we have a FP Aquarium and a Kick N Learn Piano. I also looked at the more inexpensive mobiles, and thought that they were kind of ugly. Do I need to get a mobile for the crib? I'm also planning on putting Martie in a cradle in our bedroom for the first few months.

Sonia
EDD 4/14/03

bnme
03-12-2003, 10:04 PM
My DS LOVES this (10 wks). I can get a shower in and know he is happily playing. We have the aquarium to and he finds the mobile much more exciting. The aquarium is more of a soother.

jojo2324
03-12-2003, 10:16 PM
GET IT!!! This mobile was the only way I could do ANYTHING those first few months! And I know that 5 months seems like a short amount of time, but for the minutes of sanity it bought me during that time, the price is definitely worth it.

We also got the FP Aquarium (to use after we had to take the mobile down), and he looks at it, but it doesn't have the same effect. We primarily use it when we lay him back down if he's woken up during the night; like the above post, more of a soother.

HTH!

egoldber
03-12-2003, 10:31 PM
It really depends on your baby. I only had a stabile and Sarah liked it. But I never needed it to keep her occupied in the crib. And I never had any of the other things either. You can always add things as you need them.

And keep in mind that having too many things in the crib can make it too stimulating for your baby to sleep well. And if you are planning on mainly using a dedside cradle anyway, then the mobile will be pretty useless.

Edited to correct mildly amusing spelling error and also to say that if you want to play music for your baby, it is easier to just use a CD player as someone mentioned.

HTH,

Karenn
03-12-2003, 11:23 PM
I wouldn't say a mobile is a necessity, but Colin absolutely adored his! He would laugh and talk to it. It was so fun to watch him! He never did that with his FP aquarium. The mobile hangs over his changing table now and he still likes to look at the bugs when I change his diaper. I know you weren't too impressed with the less expensive mobiles (I didn't care for a lot of them either) but we had the Kidz II Baby Bugs. We also had the stabile that Beth talks about, and he loved that too.

danielleh
03-13-2003, 08:11 AM
I would also definitely recommend getting the mobile. I also have the aquarium and piano. From about 3 weeks until I had to take the mobile down a few weeks ago, it gave me several guaranteed 15 minute stretches to shower, eat or just take a break. The aquarium was useful for soothing DS to sleep at night. Since taking the mobile out, I have been using the piano more, but it does not amuse DS as much as the mobile did. Also, the mobile was the source of all of my "smiling" pictures of DS for the first couple of months.

HTH,
Danielle
mom to Jimmy born 8/29/02

bnme
03-13-2003, 08:46 AM
Just another thought on the Symphony mobile. When you have to take it down you can leave the music box portion of it up so you can still play the music.

kirstensmom
03-13-2003, 09:12 AM
We also had this mobile but it broke around 5 1/2 months. (I returned it for a crib cd player) My friend's broke after 1 1/2 months. The same day she returned it two other women were returning it and claimed it fell on their child. While we loved this mobile, I would reconsider getting it now.

emilyf
03-13-2003, 10:21 AM
I adore my symphony in motion- like others have said, it is 15 minutes of sanity, which is enough for me to take a shower. I use it every day. You may want to wait-someone might still get it for you, I got lots of gifts after the baby was born.
Emily
mom of Charlie born 11/02

kclm
03-13-2003, 06:32 PM
Our DS LOVES this mobile. He will happily watch it for 20-30 minutes at a time. You will not regret the purchase.

Karen
Tad, 11/21/02

celfsh
03-14-2003, 06:55 PM
I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but we have never had a mobile and have never missed it. That said, I only put DD in her crib to sleep, never to play, so we haven't ever needed anything to keep her occupied in there.

Just my two cents.

celeste
mom to olivia 9/25/02

smomom
03-16-2003, 07:52 PM
Buy it immediately.

I second the comment that this item was the single reason that I was able to get anything done during the first few weeks. My son is 4 1/2 months old and still loves it. I dread the day I have to take it down.

jubilee
03-16-2003, 10:22 PM
I just bought the geometic shape one at Baby Depot (inside Burlington Coat Factory) for $29, when they were selling the same one at BRu for $40. You might check it out if you have one nearby.