PDA

View Full Version : Sleep Positioner & Sack Questions

bnme
03-13-2003, 08:55 AM
Last night my 10wk old managed to wiggle up out of his sleep positioner and do a full 90 degree turn! I think he is using the positioner to help propell himself around. Needless to say, I am removing it from the crib. Should I know be concerned about him trying to roll over and not get back? I know its probably OK, since the positioner is technically not even reccomended, but I have been using it and felt comfortable with it. Just looking for some reassurance.

I think I am going to get a sleep sack and stop swaddling him since he kicks out of the swaddle anyway. "Stupid" question: When they awake to feed, do you leave the sack on...I assume yes.
(?)

Also, do the Carters sacks have sleeves? I want one w/o sleeves but don't want to make a trip to Carters outlet for nothing......I would be better off staying away from there!!! Are the non-fleece Halo ones available in stores yet? Last time I checked at BRU they only had fleece and since Spring is almost here I (wishful thinking???) I don't think I need the fleece (In the meantime I can always put him in a fleece sleeper with the cotton sleep sack for added warmth and then switch to cotton sleeper-cotton sack combo for spring).

Any advice appreciated!

August Mom
03-13-2003, 07:12 PM
My DS wiggled out of the sleep positioner and did a 90 degree turn once early on. I kept usin the sleep positioner and he didn't do it again. I also liked using the sleep positioner when DS was rolling from back to stomach only. It at least made it more difficult for him to roll to his stomach and wake himself up because he couldn't return to his back.

We have the Halo sleepsacks and love them. Ours are fleece. I haven't seen the cotton ones in stores. We used a fleece one even when it was warm outside because the AC was on inside. DS seemed comfortable. All of the Carters sacks that I have seen do have sleeves and they are one size fit all. The Halo sleepsacks come in sizes. BTW, I always leave DS in his sleepsack when I feed him.

vikivoly
03-13-2003, 07:17 PM
My DD (15 wks.) spins around in her crib all of the time without a sleep positioner, so I doubt that it will make much of a difference if you remove it from the crib. She has not yet rolled over though.

I use the Halo sleep sacks. I prefer them to Carter's. Carter's has long sleeves. To keep things calm & quiet, I recommend keeping the sack on while feeding.

BRU has the fleece one's for $19.99, which is a pretty good buy. They are not heavy and I think (depending on your location) would be fine for sleeping in the Springtime.

chrissyhowie
03-13-2003, 11:36 PM
I have a bunch of Carter's fleece sleep sacks that were given to me as gifts. I was going to cut the arms off of one if DD seemed too hot in it once the weather got warmer. I figured there was no sense in spending the extra money for a new Halo sack since I already have the Carter's unless the cut-off arms really posed a problem.

--Chrissy

nitaghei
03-14-2003, 10:56 AM
I was given a couple of the Carter's sleep sacks as a gift. The sleeves are really loose and floppy, and I was worried about DS suffocating - so I just cut them off, and hemmed the edges. No big deal - it took about 15 minutes to do. (and I don't even own a sewing machine!)

Nita
mom to Neel 01/05/03
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

bnme
03-14-2003, 11:06 AM
August Mom,
I left the positioner in again last night and he didn't get out of it again. I think I will keep using it for a while longer, while watching him closely. He can sort of turn over, not fully yet, and I doubt if he did he could get back.

Oh, and I hadn't considered AC, good point!

Thanks everyone.