PDA

View Full Version : Glenna Jean Serengetti ruffle - gets caught on drop side?

angusmom
03-24-2003, 05:17 PM
Hi!

A friend of mine with four kids said she used a dust ruffle on her crib for her first two kids, but not with the last two because it was a huge pain. With raising and lowering the drop side the ruffle kept getting caught and she'd have to re-organize it constantly so it would lay right.

Is this a common problem with dust ruffles? If so, why are they so popular for decoration (i.e. included in most crib bedding sets)?

Is there a dust ruffle length that works better - such as don't get anything less than 10 or 12 inches (I think 8" is the most common measurement I have seen)?

I'm looking favorably upon the Glenna Jean Serengetti crib ruffle, but it's expensive (like almost $90!!!). Since I think I'm not getting a comforter or bumper, I was going to splurge on this beautiful ruffle so there would be some decoration on the crib. But maybe I shouldn't bother with the ruffle?

Your thoughts and experiences are very much appreciated! :)

kathsmom
03-27-2003, 03:19 AM
Hi, angusmom!

I don't have the particular dust ruffle you mentioned. I did have a cheap Carter's dust ruffle and bumper on DD's crib and I don't remember having any trouble with the dust ruffle having to be readjusted. I don't think that we raised and lowered the side of the crib very much. Of course, that was about 6 years ago!

For DS we just bought crib sheets in the Barnyard pattern from Lands' End. I tried the bumper and dust ruffle that went with it, but I didn't like the knit ruffle and the bumper was way too long! So, back they went. I tried a Pottery Barn Kids bumper I found on clearance, but it sagged too much and the ties didn't line up well with the slats on my crib.

So to answer your question, we just have sheets on the crib. I think where a dust ruffle gets to be a problem at times (in addition to the problem your friend had)is if you have a crib with a drawer. When you lower the mattress as your child gets older, the ruffle goes lower and blocks the drawer. I don't have a drawer, but have seen this mentioned on other posts.

HTH and good luck!

Toni - mom to Katherine (5/19/96) and Andrew (9/23/02)

angusmom
03-27-2003, 02:55 PM
Thanks for your reply!

I asked the store for the exact lenght of the drop on the Serengetti ruffle, and then when we eventually pick out a crib I'll see how far down the side rail drops. Hopefully there won't be a problem!

Thanks again!

angusmom
03-28-2003, 11:43 AM
Just wanted to update this thread and post that I found out the Serengetti ruffle is 16" long. I can't imagine any crib drop side could get caught on a ruffle that is that long.

kathsmom
03-28-2003, 01:54 PM
Hi, angusmom!

It's me again! I just wanted to let you know that we have a crib set that we bought on clearance from BRU about 3 weeks ago. We were going to return the set to BRU yesterday, which is why I didn't mention it in my other post. I totally forgot about the dust ruffle that came with it - I had no problems with it on my crib. I am sorry about not posting that on my earlier post. I was (and still am) very tired and sleepy because a certain little boy won't sleep through the night or take naps!! My brain is functioning on autopilot right now!

We are keeping the set, because we really need a bumper for DS and this is the only one that fit his crib correctly. The set is by Kidsline and the pattern is Atlantis.

Good luck with decorating and sorry that I forgot about my experience with the dust ruffle in this set!

Toni - mom to Katherine (5/19/96) and Andrew (9/23/02)