PDA

View Full Version : I realize I'm inexperienced, not to mention 9 months pregnant...

Rhonda36
04-10-2003, 10:55 AM
... but are crib sheets supposed to be this challenging to put on? I put a mattress pad and sheet on the crib last night, and I don't care if I ever change it again!

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, or maybe I just goofed buying the coil mattress instead of the foam... (hindsight, huh?). The bumper pad made it really difficult too, but heavens, do you have to take that off everytime you change the sheets?

Good heavens, can someone help?
Thanks, Rhonda

cara1
04-10-2003, 02:40 PM
1)Yes, they are supposed to be impossible to change.
2)I can count on one hand how many times I've changed the crib sheets. Usually I stand on ceremony and make DH do it (especially in the middle of the night). I think I even made DS take a nap on the mattress once without a sheet at all because I didn't want to deal with it.
3)When *I* change the sheets, I remove the bumper. When DH does it, he leaves the bumper on. BTW, at least *2* of our bumper ties have now been ripped off. Could there be a connection?
4)We ONLY change the crib sheets if they've been soiled/spit-up on. It's just too much bother. Consider getting something to cover the sheets. I thought this was stupid, especially after brooding over what kind of sheet to buy. I'm still glad I didn't do the Ultimate Crib Sheet for that very reason, but I did have a few rectangle quilted pads that went on top of the sheet and actually tied to the crib rails. I call them spit-up collectors, but I forgot the real name. This definitely cut down on the # of changes. If you get a few, you can use two at once (one spit-up collector, and one pee/poo collector), and just pull it off, throw it in the laundry, and put on a clean one. Much easier than the sheet thing.

Good luck!

twins r fun
04-10-2003, 03:41 PM
I agree PAIN IN THE BUTT. I was actually very happy when we took the bumpers off and it was a bit easier. Did you pull the whole matress out and put it on the floor to put the sheet on? That's how I do it and it's slightly easier. It will also be easier when you aren't pregnant! I must say I am very bad about changing the crib sheets. Early on, I did both cribs at the same time and I vowed to never do that again. I was exhausted by the end! Now I alternate whose sheet is getting changed or if desperate, con DH into doing both!

Nicole

egoldber
04-10-2003, 03:58 PM
This is why I love my Ultimate Crib Sheet. I have changed the actual crib sheet only a handful of times.

HTH,

August Mom
04-10-2003, 05:46 PM
Those great quilted pads with ties are called Sheet Savers. I got mine at BRU and highly recommend them.

BTW, it's also possible that your difficulty was increased by the sheets shrinking. This happened to me with one style of sheets.

rwd72
04-11-2003, 07:33 AM
Crib sheets are enough to drive a person crazy!!! I found that using waterproof lap pads were a great help. I'm not sure if they are the same things as what the other moms are talking about, but it really cut down the amount of times I had to change the sheets. Good luck.
Renee
Mom to Sean 2yrs. &
expecting again May 23rd

Rhonda36
04-11-2003, 09:21 AM
Whew. Well I guess I'm relieved that I'm not just an idiot about how to change sheets. I did read somewhere about PBK sheets shrinking, and that, of course, is what we have.

Looks like I'll be doing a little more shopping this weekend for Sheet Savers! Thanks for all the posts!

Rhonda

parkersmama
04-11-2003, 03:05 PM
My PBK sheets didn't shrink that I can tell. I have a gingham one and a chambray one. If anything, they might have been a little easier to put on than others I've done. And, believe me, I've changed my share of crib sheets!! I ususally try to do it without removing the bumper. This is tricky and you'll improve with practice. It definitely becomes easier when you remove the bumper pad altogether when the baby starts pulling up! Another thing that's always complicated matters for me: if you have a mobile, crib mirror, or other accessory..what on earth to do with them when changing the sheets!? I think it was these items more than the bumper that made me learn how to do it without taking the whole blasted bed apart! Anyway, just wanted you to know you're not deficient in any way...it's all part of the conspiracy against sleep-deprived pregnant and new moms!! LOL!