PDA

View Full Version : Way to hang a quilt

Jen841
04-21-2003, 06:22 PM
We received a quilt that I want to hang on the wall. I don't want to fold it.

I have seen the star/flower hangers at PBK, but want to know if anyone has any other ideas for hanging a quilt.

Thanks!

AndrewsMommy
04-21-2003, 07:03 PM
I added tabs to the top of mine and hung it on a curtain rod. It matches the rod that the valance hangs on. It turned out really cute.

Tina
Mom to Andrew 3/31/03

stillplayswithbarbies
04-21-2003, 08:59 PM
you can buy similar quilt hangers at Target and WalMart.

...Karen
Jake age 12
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

Momof3Labs
04-21-2003, 09:15 PM
Or you could sew rings to the back of the quilt and hang on little hooks, if you want an "invisible" hanging system!

gour0
04-21-2003, 10:25 PM
I hung mine on a clotheline with some of his cuter outfits. It looks really great!

August Mom
04-22-2003, 08:16 AM
At Great Indoors, a salesclerk suggested buying a curtain rod with your choice of finials and rings that clip onto the quilt and then slide onto the rod.

heidi_timms
04-22-2003, 11:14 AM
There is a cute one on jcpenney.com. They don't sell it in the stores. It's a knock-off shelf with rod that PBK sells in white, and three colors of woods. It's $39.95. I wanted it except for I couldn't find the right shade to match our furniture!

August Mom
04-22-2003, 12:32 PM
Heidi,

Would you please post the link to the page showing this quilt hanger? I've been searching the JC Penney site and can't seem to find anything but an iron quilt stand. Thanks.

cvharris
04-22-2003, 01:01 PM
I was going to buy a quilt rack from PBK (the ones where the pole lifts up from the rack), but my Land of Nod quilt was to wide for it.

My MIL makes a lot of quilts, and this is what she is doing to my quilt so I can hang it: She is sewing a lightweight pocket across the top of the back of the quilt, leaving 3" on each side. She will then put a sturdy 1"x2" wood piece in the pocket. The length of the wood piece should be 4" less than the width of the quilt so it rests behind the quilt, completely hidden. She will then attach those question mark shaped picture hanging hooks to each end of the wood piece. (you have to be careful not to split the wood when putting these in) Then you can hang the quilt on two nails in the wall and all the hardware will be hidden.

She does this will all her wall hanging quilts and it works great for her. Hope this helps someone!

heidi_timms
04-22-2003, 02:02 PM
Sure, here is the link! I even ordered one, using a free shipping code that I found on the internet somewhere. It wasn't the right color, so I returned to the catalog desk at my local JCPenney store. It was great because if it doesn't work out, then you don't have to ship it back, if you have a store near you!

If this link doesn't work, then you can find it under "children's", then "furniture", then "accessories" and then it's on the third page of the accessories section. They have tons of cute knock-off items including the dollhouse bookshelf and firehouse bookshelf and toybox bench seat. I just wish they matched my furniture!

http://www0.jcpenney.com/jcp/Products.aspx?DeptID=327&CatID=8140&CatTyp=DEP&ItemTyp=G&GrpTyp=PRD&ItemID=067fa37&ProdSeq=19&OffSet=19&ProdCount=21&Cat=accessories&Dep=children%27s&PCat=furniture&PCatID=4242&RefPage=ProductList&Sale=&NumMatches=21&RecPtr=&SearchIn=0&ShowMenu=&TTYP=&ShopBy=0&PersistenceID=&RecordID=&SearchString=

August Mom
04-22-2003, 02:38 PM
Thanks. I don't know why I couldn't find it. It looks nice. I may have to try it myself.

Marisa6826
04-23-2003, 04:15 PM
I just used some of those clip-on curtain rings about an inch from the top of the quilt and a couple of thumb tacks...

-m

nigele
04-28-2003, 09:28 AM
Target has quilt hangers in their baby section and they are a lot less expensive than PBK.

I sewed tabs onto a quilt I made for my DS and hung it on a rod then hung the rod to small "curtain hooks" which I screwed into the wall.

Jen841
04-28-2003, 09:55 AM
Any idea where to find these in Target? I have one close by I will check out.

Rachels
04-28-2003, 12:09 PM
Glad somebody asked this! We have a great quilt we've been trying to figure out how to hang. I really like the PBK clips. Here's a link if anyone else is looking:

http://ww1.potterybarnkids.com/cat/pip.cfm?words=quilt%20hanger&src=sch&lst=n203040800%2Changer%2Cquilts&itm=g15176&grp=15176&cmsrc=Search%2520Box%252Fkeyword%2520

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Jen841
05-05-2003, 09:45 AM
I hope I can describle this right......
They made loops with ribbon at the top of a quilt (like the AIDS ribbon loops) and attached them with diaper pins (Ribbon on the back of the quilt and diaper pin on the front). They attached the loops to hooks handing from a chair rail. I am going to buy some basic small looks at Home Depot. The diaper pins are really cute!

Ironically I saw this after I went to PBK's and bought their circle quilt holders. I'll be returning those now! I did not want to put so many holes in the wall, so the little hooks will be perfect!

suzska
08-25-2003, 11:02 PM
I have these and they are great! (Yes, that's my review at the site.)

http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?PRODID=11911&CATID=24992&foreground=green

You can't tell from the picture, but there is a marble inside, between the pieces of wood and the weight of the quilt holds it in place. It's easy to take the quilt out and put it back. The blocks just hang on the wall from a simple nail.

Although I haven't used them for a larger quilt yet, I do have a set holding up a small wallhanging in my powder room and another for a wallhanging in my bedroom. I'm on Joann's mailing list, and so I bought them with my "Preferred Customers" 50% off coupon.

I have painted them to match the pattern of the quilt, but you can just paint or stain them a solid color. That's they great thing about them--you can do whatever you want with them!

I tried scanning a set in once, but 3-D objects don't work so well on the scanner! LOL! But I've attached the pics anyway so you can get an idea. This picture doesn't do them justice, though, IMHO. You can't see the sides (which are purple to match the border of the quilt).