PDA

View Full Version : Is a positioner safe if it keeps baby on his side, not back?

justlearning
04-28-2003, 01:43 PM
A friend of mine just gave me a sleep positioner that keeps a baby on his side (with a foam wedge on the back and a smaller block of foam in the front). She said she used it with all three of her kids and that it's much better than putting the baby on his back because of the flat-head problems associated with back sleeping. I don't recall seeing side-sleep positioners in the stores now (she said she bought hers from Walmart for $5 years ago), so I was wondering if perhaps they're considered unsafe now.

Does anyone have any experience with this or knowledge that might be helpful? I'd appreciate any input.

sweetbasil
04-28-2003, 04:27 PM
Anne,
We used a curved side sleeper with DS#1 because that's how the hospital had him positioned...we'd rotate sides when he was littler, then when he got bigger, we took it out and he was a back sleeper for a while. I just bought a new one for DS#2's upcoming arrival, as the velcro on our first side sleeper made it pill--and stick to the nursing bras, clothes, and everything else-- in the wash.

HTH,

khakismom
04-29-2003, 09:12 AM
Julie...

Which one did you buy? I had to trash my first one too because it was all frayed and the plastic was sticking out from the fray from washing it so much. I want to get another one but am not sure if I want to get the same one or should buy a different one, so I'm soliciting feedback. TIA!! :)

...Maureen

Mom to
Kathleen 3/22/01
Ellen EDD 6/12/03

sweetbasil
04-29-2003, 04:28 PM
The one at Target--- let me see, it's a Sassy Deluxe Curved Back & Side Sleeper; I don't think it was more than $12.

HTH,

Edited to add: this product has a velcro attachment to one of the sides, so the pillow can be moved and adjusted to hold the baby in snugly--- Kellen never rolled over or anything, and it was great for making sure his little head didn't get flat on one side over another.

egoldber
04-29-2003, 07:29 PM
While side sleeping is considered safer than tummy sleeping, back sleeping is associated with a greater reduced incidence of SIDS.

Read here for more info: http://www.sidsalliance.org/Newparents/default.asp

HTH,

justlearning
04-29-2003, 08:34 PM
Thanks for this link. It was helpful to read their information, including the way they addressed the side-sleeping issue in their "SIDS Q&A" section. It says that side sleeping was recommended in 1992 but then no longer recommended starting in 1996 because babies may roll over on their stomachs if on their side. I wonder, though, if the side-sleep positioner would adequately prevent this from happening? I was always planning on putting my baby on his back until my friend (whose husband is a doctor) strongly recommended side sleeping (using the positioner she gave me) because she said that she has known of friends whose babies have problems with really flat heads due to being lain on their back. Of course, I shouldn't view those examples as strong evidence, but it did get me questioning the back-sleeping decision. Do any of you have additional comments, personal stories, etc. on this issue?

Another interesting point I read in the SIDS Q&A section is that they don't recommend using sleep positioners. I thought using sleep positioners was the way to go because it would keep the baby from rolling over. But, they include positioners in their list of other objects that should not be in a crib (e.g., pillows, blankets) and later say they don't recommend them because there's no evidence that they're effective. What do you all think about this? If you've used positioners, do you feel they were helpful? Have you read other information about this?

Thanks to those who have already provided feedback, and thanks in advance to others who may contribute to this discussion. I feel it's an important decision and I want to do what's best for my baby.

egoldber
04-29-2003, 10:23 PM
Personally, I find it incredible that a medical professional would recommend anything other than back sleeping for an infant without a strong medical reason. I believe that in some NICUs they do not putinfants on their backs, but those babes are electronically monitored 24 hours a day. I assume he's not a ped? Putting your baby on their back is associated with a 40% reduction in SIDS rates. Side sleeping has less of a reduction (although I can't remember what the exact statistic is).

Also, it is not just cribs and sleeping that can lead to positional flattening of the head. ANY time your baby is on their backs (bouncy seats, infant seats, strollers fully reclined) are also contributing factors. This is why tummy time, using front carriers and slings AND just generally rotating your baby's position are so important.

I would wait and see if you need a sleep positioner. I never used one for my DD and had no trouble keeping her on her back.

HTH,

Momof3Labs
04-30-2003, 10:03 AM
We tried to use a positioner at the beginning but found it useless - even at a week or two old, Colin could wiggle around too much in it, and it made me too nervous. The side positioners, IMO, don't do a good job of keeping baby from rolling onto his/her belly - it is still very possible (speaking from experience) so it remains a risk.

But if it is important to you, you can save your money and use rolled up receiving blankets.

SylviaC
05-02-2003, 04:54 PM
After a month or two solely on his back our son was getting serious flat head so our Ped told us to start side sleeping him as well. We used the Graco positioner, which is curved on both pieces so it fit very snug against him and he never rolled over once. I think it is a great product and would recommend it to anyone. Back is better, but if you have problems with head flattening then you have to consider alternatives.

[http://store5.yimg.com/I/kidsurplus_1739_47473436]

heidi_timms
05-03-2003, 02:30 PM
For all of you Marshalls and TJMaxx lovers, I just picked up one of these Graco positioners at TJMaxx for $5.99. For that price, I thought I'd try it. It a 2-in-1 for both the back sleeping and side sleeping.

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

chrissyhowie
05-04-2003, 10:59 AM
Heidi--

Just had to say congratulations on your beautiful 1 week old! I must add that I admire that you already have an avatar up! My DD's 3 months old now and I still haven't figured out how to post a picture!

heidi_timms
05-04-2003, 11:34 PM
Thanks Chrissy!

I was so jealous that everyone had avatars up of their babies and mine hadn't arrived yet! When she finally arrived, I did a search in the lounge forum to see if anyone posted directions on how to do the avatars and found a post with directions. I followed them and it was easier than I thought!

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

nofeea
05-08-2003, 01:19 PM
My ped also recommended side sleeping for my DD since she was getting VERY flat on one side of her head. We also used the Graco curved positioner. I adjusted the velcro so that it would fit snugly and I always had her swaddled. She never moved!
BTW, her head's rounded out now!