PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use lambswool for babyb to sleep on?

csa12
06-02-2003, 07:20 PM
I first heard about lambswool used in strollers and have also heard that it has amazing calming qualities for babies who sleep on it. Does anyone use a lambswool rug or blanket for baby?

Thanks,
Cheryl :)

lizc
06-12-2003, 04:21 PM
Yikes! NO, lambswool is not recommended due to suffocation issues. Shouldn't use it until baby is a toddler.

Peace,
Liz

csa12
06-12-2003, 04:55 PM
Thanks for your response to my question.
Cheryl :)

flagger
06-12-2003, 08:13 PM
According to the British Medical Journal, Lancet, and the Australia Medical Journal, there is an amazing soothing effect on infants. This was based on a 1983 Cambridge University Child Care and Development Group project study.

Around the world, you will find lambswool in incubators. If you are a parent that puts a child to sleep on their back, there should be no risk of suffocation.

mamicka
06-13-2003, 08:22 AM
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, the American Academy of Pediatrics, and the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development have recommended that sheepskins & other "soft products" be removed from the crib. They stress the importance of placing the child to sleep on his/her back but also state that "However, some babies have been found dead with their heads covered by soft bedding even while sleeping on their backs."

http://www.aap.org/advocacy/releases/softbedding.htm

I think its always up to the parent to use his/her own best judgement, but to say that there should be no risk of suffocation is absolutely not correct.

stillplayswithbarbies
06-13-2003, 10:32 AM
I would hope that we have more information about safety since that study was done 20 years ago.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel 2/27/91
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

mamicka
06-13-2003, 11:18 AM
Not sure what study you're saying was done 20 years ago so if you have more information that would be helpful. The above CPSC notice was released in April of 1999.

Plus the data that they're using is from SIDS deaths 1993 - 1996.
http://www.nih.gov/news/pr/may2003/nichd-05.htm

Karenn
06-13-2003, 11:32 AM
I think Karen was refering to the 1983 study that Flagger cited, not yours. Her post threw me at first too!

mamicka
06-13-2003, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the clarification, Karenn. I was very confused.

I wanted to clarify, also, that I'm only talking about babies sleeping on lambswool or sheepskin, not using it for strollers or other times when the baby would have lots of supervision. I haven't personally seen any studies about that & all opinions I've heard have been very favorable to using them.

I still think that its up to the parent. I have a very good friend who has put her DD to sleep on a sheepskin in the crib & the cradle since birth. She is totally comfortable with that & so far its worked for them - her DD is now 7.5 months. But for me, I don't think I would be comfortable with using it for a sleeping baby (I'm afraid to use a bumper in the crib as well :) - maybe the hormones are making me a little paranoid).

stillplayswithbarbies
06-13-2003, 04:10 PM
Thanks for clarifying for me, I was indeed referring to the 1983 study that Flagger cited.

Sometimes I am typing with a baby on my lap and only using one hand, so I have to be brief. :)

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel 2/27/91
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

mamicka
06-13-2003, 04:14 PM
That's OK - I'm the one that needs to apologize. I'm a little dense lately, today's my last day at work & I'm being induced Sunday so I'm trying to keep my mind otherwise occupied so I don't go crazy with anticipation.

Sorry if I was short - It should have been obvious what you were referring to anyway.

flagger
06-14-2003, 01:23 AM
>I first heard about lambswool used in strollers and have
>also heard that it has amazing calming qualities for babies
>who sleep on it. Does anyone use a lambswool rug or blanket
>for baby?

Back to your question, this thread was interesting:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dcforum/DCForumID7/3114.html

I think Zen_bliss is using hers for her baby to sleep on.

csa12
06-14-2003, 08:36 AM
Thanks!
Cheryl

stillplayswithbarbies
06-14-2003, 06:27 PM
That one is made for strollers, It has slots for the harness straps to come through.

It's not made for sleeping on. I just got mine.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel 2/27/91
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

flagger
06-14-2003, 09:44 PM
I know but Zen posted in that thread that she was using it in her DD's bed.

luvtoshop
06-15-2003, 11:22 PM
I have a lambswool in my dd's stroller and I bought a rug for her to play on. I asked my Pediatrician about having my dd sleep on one and she said Absolutely Not! I am happy to have her sit and roll on it for the interesting texture.

: )

Melanie
06-16-2003, 12:28 AM
We used one for my son once he was on his crib mattress on the floor (maybe 12/13 months). I was hoping for miraculous sleep-soothing effects, but he sleeps better now that we've taken it away! LOL!

Mommy to Jonah