PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with toddler pillows?

Karenn
06-20-2003, 03:43 PM
Yesterday, Colin pulled a little pillow down from the couch and promptly lay down on the floor and snuggled up with it! It was absolutely adorable and I want to run right out and buy him a pillow! (Anything to help him sleep right?!) But I'm having trouble finding any information on when it is appropriate for a toddler to have a pillow. At a year, he's past the risk of SIDS, but he just barely qualifies as a toddler. I notice many of the sites selling toddler pillows say "not for use in cribs." Is there something unique about a crib that makes pillows unsafe, or is this just to make certain that parents don't put pillows in with their younger babies? Also, when I search here, I notice that most of you who were buying pillows had babies just a few months older. Anyone have any information on when Colin will be old enough for a pillow?

Thanks!

22tango
06-21-2003, 09:42 AM
I think I recall reading something about blankets being okay at 1 year but waiting until 2 for pillows...but don't hold me to it! LOL!

Actually, I think part of the danger of pillows in cribs is the ability of the baby to use them to step on to help them get over the rails! EEK!

egoldber
06-21-2003, 12:16 PM
I would wait a little longer for a pillow. Sarah didn't really seem to need or want one until 20 months or so. But if you think it will help him sleep then by all means!

And from what I have observed, if a toddler is an agile enough climber, they don't NEED a pillow to help them climb out of a crib! LOL!