PDA

View Full Version : Quality of PBK rugs?

vanaso
06-26-2003, 07:45 AM
Does anyone have one of the chenille braided rugs from Pottery Barn Kids? I really like one of them and think it will look great in the baby's room, but when I went to the store it looked awful! It was matted and dirty looking and while I know it gets more traffic than our baby's room will, I was wondering how long it takes for it to start looking ratty. I was actually really surprised that they even had it on the floor (there were two -- one under a little kid's table/chair set and one at the end of a bed or something -- both looked bad).

Thanks!
Vanessa

houseof3boys
06-27-2003, 01:46 PM
We have two regular Pottery Barn rug's (not PBK but same thing I am sure) that is chenille and it has not worn very well. It gets easily pulled and it is certainly not stain resistant! The one time some dirt got on it from DH's shoes and I tried to get it out, the stain got out after some diligence but it is noticeable where I carefully tried to get it out. So if blotting a stain and gently rubbing it causes that much wear it is not the greatest for a child's room. The wool rug we have from there is in great shape and has held up well but I would advise against the chenille if I were you!

vanaso
06-29-2003, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the info! I definitely think I'll pass then (which is a shame because it would've been so cute!). Oh well...

slknight
06-29-2003, 05:59 PM
I've got the PBK Hailey rug in blue/green. Is that the one you mean? I really love it. But I've only had it for about a month, so can't judge how it's going to wear. Everyone who visits remarks how pretty the rug is.

Susan & Alex (04.18.03)

Andrea S
07-01-2003, 02:18 PM
I have this one too. So far it looks great, but I have only had it 3 months.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

mum1day
07-07-2003, 08:13 PM
Pottery Barn rugs are awful! I used to work for the company and WOULD NOT reccomend their products. They are overpriced and do not wear well at all. From someone who owned 2 of them, I should have learned my lesson the first time. They smell badly and pill very easily.

Just my two cents. I found one at Wendy Bellissimo that I plan on getting. I'm hoping the quality is much better.

bobbiomine
07-10-2003, 10:49 AM
I paid $299.00 for a 5 foot by 7 foot red rug with a darker red border from PBK. With the nonskid rubber pad and shipping, it came to almost $350.00. WHAT A TOTAL WASTE! It pilled throughout our entire house. I had to vacuum it weekly and even that wasn't enough. Now that my daughter is starting to crawl, it isn't safe for her. I gave it away weeks ago and I am still finding tumbleweeds of red fuzz on our floor. We ordered it because of the color and we assumed that PBK would sell only quality products. I replaced it with 4 small animal (fake fur lions, tigers and bears) rugs from Sam's. They cost $15.00 each.

oneild
07-30-2003, 09:46 PM
Hi,

Does anyone know about their Julia rug? I can't find anything like it. It coordinates with a Waverly floral pattern very well and since my baby's room is more girlish (not very babyish), I was looking to buy this rug until I read these negative comments. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Danielle

mum1day
07-31-2003, 02:03 PM
Danielle,

All of the rugs are of the same quality, regardless of it's name.

ColorBlue
08-06-2003, 03:12 PM
I bought the Hailey rug about nine months ago. I just returned it last month because it was completely falling apart. The braids were separating at several places. My dd's room is upstairs and she has a playroom downstairs so she didn't really play in her room at all. I returned it with no problem for a full refund even though I didn't have the receipt. I've got to say I was very disappointed to say the least. I got the impression from the sales people at PBK that they have a lot of problems with the braided rugs. Instead we are going to get a bound piece of carpet in a pretty color.

Also I think that that it says right on the braided rugs that they cannot be vacuumed with a vacuum with moving parts...meaning the part that turns on the vacuum, you just have to use the suction hose....made cleaning it a challenge!

Tracy

dd Grace 11/01

JenCA
08-08-2003, 02:43 PM
I have the Julia rug (in 5x8) for my daughter's nursery. It did smell very strongly of wool when we brought it home, but after a few days of airing it out, it was fine. I really don't have any complaints about it. It's a beautiful rug and we get lots of compliments on it. FYI, PBK is having a great sale on this rug right now!

oneild
08-15-2003, 11:55 PM
Hi,

I actually placed an order for this rug after I saw it on sale on the web ($189 sale price vs $299 original price for 5 X 8). I based it on three factors: 1.) it is made of wool, not chenille; 2.) I noticed a rug we received as a gift for my 13 year old was a PBK themed-wool rug and it has been holding up nicely (it's approximately 1 1/2 years); and 3.) I can return it for up to 1 year if unsatisfied.

In so far as the strong odor, our son's rug did have a strong scent when we received it and a bit of airing out took care of it. For those interested in why these rugs smell rather intense, I work for Customs and have examined all types of cargo from around the world. All imported rugs seem to have a strong odor. In particular, Indian, Pakistani, Iranian (albeit prohibited), Turkish and other middle-eastern countries tend to have imported merchandise with the strongest smell. Our sons rug was made in India.

Thanks for you input. My rug order is currently on B/O and hopefully will ship later this month. It's really the only rug I found that will match the theme I'm doing (or putting together I should say). I've searched for months and hope it ties the room together.

Thanks again,
Danielle