PDA

View Full Version : patterns for making bedding

cagirl7
07-03-2003, 01:22 PM
Does anyone know where to find patterns for making your own bedding? Mainly bumpers and skirts. I'm looking for solid colors but can only find the generic pink, blue, yellow etc. I want a pale lime green and thought I might make it myself. Or, if anyone has seen solid colors elsewhere for purchase (other than pink and blue) please let me know.

Thanks,

Donna

marie
07-03-2003, 04:09 PM
i have two patterns (McCalls 3038 and Vogue 7245 - jo-ann's was having a 99-cent pattern sale!). I haven't made anything yet so i can't comment on ease of use/directions for them. I plan on using the Vogue pattern (includes pattern for bumper, sheet, dust ruffle, quilt, diaper holder, organizer and noteboard). When i went to the fabric store recently, i saw that they sell bumper-sized, pre-cut poly-filling. it also came with instructions on how to make the bumper.

so, if you have a jo-ann fabrics or some such fabric store, they should have the patterns. you can also purchase them on-line directly from mccall's/vogue. . .

http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/voguepatterns/shop.cgi?s.item.7245=x&TI='7245'&pageNum=1&M=&UK=30299859

good luck!

mamarabil
07-03-2003, 04:58 PM
I'm in the process of making a dust ruffle, valance and bumper for the crib. Well, I have everything cut out and pinned together!

I have researched the net and found instructions (I sew already so I'm not using a pattern.) If you would like me to send them to you let me know.

Mari
6 weeks to go and haven't even threaded the machine!!!

peanut4us
07-04-2003, 10:39 AM
i made dd's dust ruffle, valance and bumper... best money we ever saved.

For the bumper, i just used the instructions that came with the batting. st joann's or hancock's they have batting slready cut for bumpers. Thr indtructions i modified slightly just fo a slightly different look.

For the bed skirt: zi used a pattern on the net... it was at about.com. Sorry I don't have the url handy. But basically, cut a rectangle out of muslin that matches your mattress base. Then cut 6 pieces for the skirt... 1 piece for each end and 2 pieces for each side. Cut each end piece twice as long as the actual end piece of your crib. Cut each side piece as long as the side. Sew all the pieces together and then add a thread to gather with. After you have it gathered, mstch it to the muslin and sew.

I used a serger and it was super fast... i also used my serger to give me rolled hems so i didn't have to regularly hem the bottom.

mamarabil
07-04-2003, 12:46 PM
Wow! Talk about lighting a fire under your buns...I got motivated yesterday and got a big chunck of the project finished!! Here is the instructions for the Crib Dust Ruffle:

Materials Needed:

2 ¾ yds of 45" wide accent fabric
1½ of muslin or platform fabric
Thread

Directions:

Using the full 45" width of your accent fabric, cut 6 16" wide strips.

From muslin or a sheet cut a platform, 29" by 53". Make marks at ½ way point of each side.

Using ½" seams, join the strips of accent fabric. If you are using a print, be sure to keep the pattern all in one direction.

Hem one edge of the joined strips. (turn under ¼" and ¼" again, topstitch hem)

Gather two sections of the accent fabric to the long sides of the platform and 1 section for the shorter edges of the platform. Use your seams to match up your corners and half way marks on the platform.

Use ½" seams to join the platform and ruffle. Zig zag or serge the seam to enclose your raw edges.