PDA

View Full Version : Removing Bumper Pad Dilemma

puppylitomom
07-24-2003, 12:30 AM
My very active 7 month old is now standing up in her crib. I took the bumper pads away, but my hubby is now afraid that she will fall and bump her head hard without them (in fact, he wants to have higher ones). She does seem to fall quite a bit.

But, I keep reading that they are unsafe once the baby can stand, since they can help them climb out of the crib.

Any advice and solutions?

kathsmom
07-24-2003, 08:44 AM
We went through the same thing. My DS is now 10 months old. When he started standing up in the crib, I considered taking out the bumper pads, but we kept them in. He still falls sometimes when standing or sitting in his crib. He also kept getting his arms and legs stuck between the slats on the crib. He likes to sleep with his head and/or body against the side of the crib, so we like to have something soft in there for him.

We have left the bumpers in for all of the above stated reasons. We did lower the crib mattress (mostly because he had gotten taller and could have toppled out of the crib from leaning over). So far, he has shown no tendency to use the bumper as a "step" to get out of the crib. If he does, then we will take them out.

HTH!

egoldber
07-24-2003, 12:05 PM
I have also left our bumper in the crib. Sarah has never used it as a step, and even if she did, it is so squishy that I don't see how it would be useful as a step.

And I know plenty of toddlers without bumbers in their cribs that have no trouble climbing out!

puppylitomom
07-25-2003, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the responses! I think we will leave them in (have already lowered the crib to its second lowest setting).

Another question - should I make/get wider bumper pads? I was trying to figure out the physics - like, how high does she collide into the rails when she does fall?

Julie

egoldber
07-25-2003, 08:52 AM
That is really only a short phase. After a couple weeks, she should get more steady.

HTH,

flagger
07-25-2003, 10:51 AM
JMHO but I would be more worried about the risk of suffocation now that she is more mobile than a bump on the head. Babies fall as part of the learning process. They are not falling far enough nor hitting hard enough to cause major damage.

She will also learn not to stick her arms and legs through the crib slats after a couple of times doing it.

puppylitomom
07-25-2003, 02:41 PM
Suffocation - another risk I hadn't thought about. What is the risk with bumpers (I thought it was ok, as long as they were tied at both ends).

caroliner
07-25-2003, 03:12 PM
At 13 months, our bumpers are still in the crib... Caroline so far has not shown any indication that she'll use them as a stepping help and they are the PBK ones that squish down when she steps on them. I like them in there for comfort.

lukkykatt
07-26-2003, 01:11 PM
I had this very question. DS used to snuggle against his bumper, and sometimes throw his arm over it like it was a friend when he slept. One night, I was so freaked out I took it out in the middle of the night because I was sure he would suffocate. Then he started having trouble sleeping without it...

Our ped's advice? Put it back in. She said that as long as he had good head/neck control, suffocation should not be an issue. She did say to remove it when he could pull to standing though, so her advice is not what you want to hear there.

Part of the question depends on whether or not you have a "climber". If not, then you will probably have no problem leaving it in.

Riley717
07-30-2003, 10:28 AM
This is so helpful...I took the bumper pads out of my 8-month old son's crib last week and he has not slept through the night since. I think its because he is used to cuddling up next to them.

I took them out because I have the Lands End baby set and there is velcro on the bumper pad, not ties. He would be in his crib playing in the morning just pulling the bumper pad apart...he's quite active, and very strong.

I feel awful for him that he keeps waking up in the middle of the night, it was 4 times last night.

Maybe I will look and see if I can fix the velcro or create ties for the bumper.

Any other suggestions from those that do have Lands End bedding?
Being a first time Mom I didn't know that I should look for bumper pads with ties on them.

Thanks for your help.

Stephanie