PDA

View Full Version : Bumper pads and SIDS

papal
07-30-2003, 10:03 PM
Hi,
Today in our prepared childbirth classes our instructor told us to not use bumper pads on the crib till baby is past the SIDS risk and can turn on her tummy (5-6 months). She said that it is possible for them to get their faces up against the bumper pads and suffocate that way. I was just wondering how then do you keep their little hands and feet out of the slats... or is there no way they can get stuck since the slats are just under 3 inches?
Anyone else have more info about SIDS and bumper pads?

Thanks,
Rashmi

JElaineB
07-30-2003, 10:47 PM
The National SIDS Alliance (now also known as First Candle) recommends against the use of bumper pads. Their info is here: [link:www.sidsalliance.org/Newparents/default.asp|National SIDS Alliance page for new parents]. My state's board of pediatricians recommends against them also. So I haven't used bumper pads in my son's crib ever.

You baby might stick their arms or legs out of the slats a few times when they first become mobile in the crib. My son did, and woke up crying a few times. But he quickly figured out not to do that! It never hurt him, I think just startled him. He hasn't stuck his arms or legs out while sleeping in months.

You might also try Halo sleep sacks, which the SIDS Alliance recommends, or some other sleep sack. I have used them and really like them. A sleep sack will make it less likely that your baby will be able to stick his/her legs out of the slats.

Hope this helps.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

kristine_elen
08-01-2003, 07:35 PM
We didn't use a bumper pad for just this reason. My son has gotten his leg stuck only twice. I often see that his foot protrudes through the slats, but he is able to easily get it out. I really think he wouldn't have even gotten stuck that second time if he wasn't such a chunk! It was like Winnie the Pooh stuck in Rabbit's house. His crib totally looks like it's from the Soviet era: a mobile and a sheet and that's it. But it's still a wonderful little haven and he's a great sleeper (knock wood) so he must be content in there.

jenmcadams
08-03-2003, 01:49 PM
We did end up using a bumper pad and had no problems. But, Abbie lifted her head up pretty early and was pretty good at adjusting herself in the night. Having said that, we had to remove the bumper pad (and lower the crib) at 5 months b/c she was pulling up and cruising early and I was worried the bumper pad could serve as a step for climbing. If you end up deciding not to use a Bumper Pad (which is probably the safest way to go), I wouldn't purchase one at all b/c you probably won't get much use out of it before you'd have to remove it for mbbility reasons.