PDA

View Full Version : purple in a boys room?

SeekerMage
08-23-2003, 11:25 PM
Can you put purple and periwinkle and plum in a boys room?
I found the cutest fairy princess and castle bedding set at target that Im thinking about using for Angela's bedroom, however, the new baby will be in the room with her. I figured I would use the purple and periwinkle for the crib...but what if its a boy? If it is we will incorporate more of the castles and such to make it more boy, but would it be too cutesy for him if its a he? Not that he will really care until he is much older and hopefully in a room of his own by then. Anyhow, what are your thoughts.
Below is a link to the set and I just love it! What do you think?

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=br_1_9/602-8292469-9884647?asin=B00007LVBH

Thanks for the advice!

hwin708
08-24-2003, 04:20 AM
I love that bedding set, and I really love the castle theme for a boy and girl room. A friend of mine did this a few years ago for her boy/girl twins, and it looked brilliant. Princesses and fairies for the girl, knights for the boy, and frog princes for them both. Cute!
I do, however, think the purple might be a bit girly. It looked like the castle and other accents on the set were in blue, so you may still be able to use blue. I would say your best bet would just be to use a white or cream bedding set. Another friend had an all white baby crib set that looked just gorgeous. Of course, that was with a dark wood crib. It probably wouldn't work with a white crib.
Also, I eyed the fairy princess room accessories at Target when I convinced myself I was going to be having a girl, and they are very girly. Now that I've found out I am having a boy, I am going with the frog prince theme, so I still get to find cool castle themed stuff, just not quite as girly. BombayKids.com has a great castle lightswitch cover, and eeboo (on tuttibella.com) makes an adorable castle growth chart. Also, try OliveKids.com for their Happily Ever After line of products.
Good Luck!

stillplayswithbarbies
08-24-2003, 10:37 AM
I think it is a great idea and not too girly. You can have castles and knights on the boy side. When he is old enough to care whether purple is too "girly", you can redecorate. :)

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

joycenewmommy
09-16-2003, 08:01 AM
I think it's too girly.

Joyce
Mom to Lauren 3/10/03

vikivoly
09-17-2003, 02:42 PM
I wouldn't put it in a boys room.

mama2be
09-17-2003, 03:33 PM
I would do it...it sounds like it is his sisters room and that he'll be using it till he gets his big boy room...

My son's room is periwinkle, purple and lite blue...it can seen on his web iste in my signiture line...

vikivoly
09-21-2003, 08:46 AM
Neve,

Tristan's nursery is beautiful! How do you like the round crib?

mama2be
09-21-2003, 09:01 AM
Vicky...don't ever fire your photograher!!!!!! Those pictures are so precious. Given they couldn't go wrong with such a pretty little gal But those are just too perfect!!!!!!!

Edited to say: Tahnk you for the complement...I spent a lot of time "designing it"...it was fun!!!

Sheepishly saying...I love it cosmetically...but would be fibbing if I said he's used it often.

He naps in it and twice has slept in it atleast the majority of the night (but getting a cold made mommy whisk him back to be with her-colds gone but T is still there)...

If one really wants to get one AND USE IT I do have advice...
I'd research it and see if it is as practicle as others, I would have gotten it anyway since I have imagined a round crib for my baby since I was in my teens (a long long time ago)...
But I have seen folks rant about them before!!!!

I also would avoid the Little Miss Liberty line if you ordered pre baby...I have heard nothing but awful things about their customer service and very very long waits. Mine is Little Miss Liberty but it was bought from a gal who never used it (they co-slept) I got it for a steal. Sold the linens on Ebay and got my $800 crib after those calculations for $100.

There is a line called Angel Line that is now making them...I think they sell on Ebay and their site, but you can track em down thru Ebay. Tehy offer the "turned spindles" and I would have grabbed one of those if mine didn't fall into my lap.

I took the sheets from the set that came with the crib and had a seamstress "copy" them...
BUT that is where I dropped the mula that I had saved, that is all diopini silk, but the canopy is sewn in a way where the fabric is intact to use it elsewhere in the future.

I had some stiff tulle sewn into the dust ruffle (that is the ballerina tu tu material) so it would give it "poof"...

I don't know if I answered your question...I feel I might mislead and cost someone a lot of money if I just say "love it!!!!" without really having "used" it...it has had it's critics and would hate for someone to spend the money without knowing that.

Again I'd do it again...but want to make certain folks look into it before spending so much...

alkagift
09-22-2003, 09:19 AM
Kathryn,
I would say, that if you really like it, go with denim blue/chambray with burgundy accents for the crib bedding. If you haven't already got the crib, consider a cherry or other dark wood. And I like the other person's ideas about the knight in armour theme for the boy.

Allison
Mommy to Matthew, 5/19/03

starrynight
09-23-2003, 12:45 PM
That bedding is adorable!! I wish they had it in full because that's the size bed my daughter has. I don't think it would matter because your daughter is in the room too, it's not really for the baby kwim? And if you use periwinkle and blue and play up the castles on his side of the bed it won't matter.