PDA

View Full Version : Pack N Play as bassinette - what about sheets?

TifferV
09-22-2003, 03:33 PM
Hi all,

I'm expecting my 1st in December and trying to figure out everything we'll need - ha! I'm guessing we may want the baby in our bedroom with us at first, especially if I'm successful at nursing. I thought I would take the advice from Baby Bargains and not buy a bassinette, but instead get a Pack N Play with a bassinette feature.

I picked a Pack N Play that has a 3/4 bassinette, because it looked more snug for a newborn than the full bassinette. But the Pack N Play sheets only seem to be full size. Am I missing something? If you use the Pack N Play as your bassinette, what about sheets? And what about some type of waterproof mattress pad?? Also, the Pack N Play sheets are a cotton-poly blend, which seems like it could be itchy for baby. I've worked hard to find the right sheets for the crib - it seems strange to just get these for the Pack N Play, especially if they won't fit right or will be uncomfortable.

Any advice?

Tiffany

houseof3boys
09-22-2003, 08:14 PM
You can use the regular sized pack n play sheets even with a 3/4 size. I had the same question and emailed graco before I bought the sheets. That being said, graco sheets are awful. Buy either the nojo terry ones or kushies flannel (my fav) and you will be pleased.

I never used a waterproof mattress pad since the "mattress" is plastic and waterproof anyway. You can use a waterproof pad or sheet saver if you are concerned about it.

We just put away Ryan's PNP and were super happy with using it as a "crib" in our room for 2 months. We just went away for a vacation and used it too and he still loved sleeping in it!

Make sure that you don't skimp on this purchase since you will get a lot of use out of it and there are a lot of them that are not sturdy.

Edited to add here is the link for the kushies sheets http://store.yahoo.com/kidsurplus/kus345prt.html

m448
09-22-2003, 08:15 PM
I believe the 3/4 bassinette is achieved by folding under 1/4 of the mattress so you can still use the full size sheets. Upon recommendation by another member I registered for portable crib sheets which she mentioned are better quality and will fit the pack-n-play mattress to a T.

Marielle

due 10/27

barbarhow
09-22-2003, 08:22 PM
Hi Tiffany-We used our PNP as a bassinet in the bedroom-he wouldn't sleep in it but that was our plan. We now use the PNP frequently. I had the same problem and was very disappointed in the sheets that were available. I don't know if you have any sewing ability or access to a sewing machine, but I bought some cotton flannel and some cotton interlock (tshirt material) and sewed two pillow case shaped sheets for the PNP. It was so easy-3 straight seams and I made them a little long so I could tuck the end under. It actually came in handy a few weeks ago when we were away-the baby spit up on the sheet-It never occurred to me to bring 2 PNP sheets so I just slid it off, slipped the sheet over and voila we had a clean sheet until the morning when I could wash it.
HTH
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

chrissyhowie
09-23-2003, 08:31 AM
I had a full sized bassinet Pack N Play and made pillow-case type sheets like Barbara (barbarhow) posted above (I definitely can attest to the fact they really are easy to make!). But I wanted to throw this suggestion out there as well.

In a pinch, I once used a big beach towel completely tucked under the ends of the pad. This looked so comfy and I probably would have just used big towels as sheets, but I already had the other ones made. As long as the ends are tucked under the mattress pad, the baby wouldn't be able to pull it out, especially when you are using it early on when he or she doesn't roll or move much. Having ones that fit the pad just can make life a bit more convenient since you don't have to tuck, fold under, etc, but you don't necessarily have to get specially made sheets.

Congratulations on your upcoming bundle of joy!