PDA

View Full Version : Stiff Bumper Pad?

kfcboston
10-03-2003, 12:02 PM
My DS is getting increasingly mobile these days. We just lowered the mattress in the crib, which means I can't tie our current bumper pad to the crib rail. So it's now THAT much easier for him to push it down and shove limbs through and bang his face on the rails. :(

Anyone have a solution? Maybe a stiffer pad? TIA!!

s7714
10-21-2003, 11:26 PM
I wouldn't put a stiffer pad on just because I'd be afraid that they'd be able to really use it to pull up on. When he sticks his limbs through is he getting stuck and not able to pull them back in? My DD has only done that once (WITH the bumper on), and when she was asleep at that, so she woke up screaming because she'd tried to turn over and her foot wasn't following the rest of her.

The only thing I can think of (although it's a rather drastic measure!) would be to drill holes in some of the slats so you could thread the bumper ties through and secure them at a lower level than the top rail. Like I said, it's rather drastic, but thought I'd mention it none the less. :) Perhaps there is some other way of creating an anchoring point at a lower level to attach the bumper?

Jennifer

Annalia 03/03/03

kfcboston
10-25-2003, 08:27 PM
You're right - that does seem drastic. I can tie the bumper pad on there, just no longer to the top rail so it's really easy for him to shove it down. I'm actually the same as you - he's only really gotten stuck and wailed for help once. I ask this b/c my mom claims back in the 70s she used a much stiffer pad covered in vinyl vs. the softer pads used now.

I briefly took the pad off altogether, but neither he nor I liked that solution at all. So it's back on there, and things seem to be OK.

Thanks for your reply!