PDA

View Full Version : bumper for a cradle?

SeekerMage
10-07-2003, 10:55 PM
Is it really needed?
We are getting a cradle from my MIL that my hubby used when he was little, it has been reinforced stabalized and we just got a new mattress for it, which we have to see if it fits...anyhow....do we need a bumper pad?

THe cradle is 15 x 33.....and all the sheets and bumpers fit 18 x 36....Luckily when I was at BRU I was able to try on the sheets and found that the bassinet sheets fit it perfectly...hopefully they wont shrink! We plan on having Lil'bit in the cradle for the first few months...so is a bumper needed or not? What are the pros and cons? I might have to make on or pray that even though its a little big the one will fit. Help!

heidi_timms
10-08-2003, 10:11 AM
I used bumpers on mine, but I don't think that they are necessary.

I had mine custom made by a lady that used to work for a baby bedding company and now has her own business. I did everything over email. She sends you photos of her work and swatches if you need it. She makes beautiful sets that fit any size cradle. I had mine done in pink toile and chenille Her prices range from $30-60 for the bumper, sheet, and a quilt that you can use later (obviously you wouldn't use the quilt on the baby while sleeping).

I did my entire order over email.

Let me know if you want her name and email address.

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

kaitlinsmommy
10-09-2003, 06:25 PM
I'm sure a bumper would look nice if you want one but it is not necessary. Your little one won't roll over or move for some months so you don't need it.

sweetbasil
10-27-2003, 11:21 PM
I, too, was the lucky recipient of the same cradle that held my DH when he was a baby. His grandparents had it (it had held 7 babies since DH, all his cousins), so they sent it to us after we'd been married a few months. Imagine my surprise when we got a package with a baby cradle in it--- no subtle hints there ;)

Anyway, my parents refinished the stain, and I sewed a cute little bumper pad to match the bedding I'd just made for our bedroom. Like Kim said, though, it wasn't really necessary- just a fun little touch. Don't knock yourself out, though- DS #2 was only in the cradle for 2 weeks, then he decided he'd rather have some privacy in his own crib. Seriously- any time DH or I rolled over or moved in our bed, DS woke up. That was no fun, and he's slept so much better since in his own crib. Oh, well.

HTH,

mharling
10-29-2003, 09:19 PM
Ds slept exclusively in his cradle (the one I slept in!) for about 2 months. He was much more mobile than we anticipated from the very beginning. When my mom was here, she made a 'bumper' by rolling up a receiving blanket most of the way and tucking the remainder under the mattress and bringing it up the side. The rolled up part sat at the top edge of the mattress. There was one blanket on each side. It worked very well for us! Instead of investing in a bumper now, you could wait and see and then try this method. Very cheap too!! I hope I described it in a way that you can picture it. If not, let me know.

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b3524e54e42d - New 10/3