PDA

View Full Version : Is there ever a right time to moving a toddler to a bed?

ATJ71
10-13-2003, 07:20 PM
Just wanted to get an idea when others transitioned their kids to beds. I just purchased a twin bed for my son, he is only 14 months old. The bed will not arrive till end of December. My plan is to set the bed up and start playing with him in his "new room". I would like to transition him early spring, as I need his crib for baby #2, due April 1st. I have been getting feedback from my family and friends that this is way too early and both a good time as, the fact that he is young it will be a smoother transition. My son is a second away from catupulting himself from his crib..so he may end up on the floor with a mattress sooner than later. Appreciate any feedback. ALI

MinnieMouse
10-16-2003, 09:29 AM
We transitioned dd at about 17 or 18mo and she did great. We put a gate across the doorway of her room and she loves her bed. Your plan sounds just fine and there is no reason you should go out and get another crib at this point.

I would transition him as soon as you can rather than later though (closer to the new year rather than the birth of your second child) so that way he loses some ownership over his old room and his old crib. KWIM?

HTH

Christine

s7714
10-17-2003, 08:37 PM
My mom put me into a regular bed at 14 months because I simply would not stay in my crib. :D After repeated nights of finding me toddling around my room, they bought a twin size bed and they never had another problem with me getting out of bed in the middle of the night. I think as long as you make sure to have the roll out guards on the edges so he can't accidentally fall out, you shouldn't have a problem.

Jennifer

Annalia 03/03/03

khakismom
10-25-2003, 10:22 PM
We transitioned DD into her double bed when she was 19 or 20 months, and it was very smooth. I too had baby #2 coming and I didn't want her thinking that the new baby took her crib.

Good luck! :)