PDA

View Full Version : Washing Mattress Pads & Bumpers before use?

Mabster
11-26-2003, 04:13 PM
I'm curious as to whether or not you ladies would recommend washing a waterproof mattress pad and or a bumper before installing them into the crib. My initial feeling is that I should wash them, but I'm hesitating for a few reasons. With the mattress pad, I've heard of some people getting cracks in the pad thus rendering them not completely waterproof. Plus, I figure I will always have at least one sheet on between the pad and the baby, if not more. With the bumper, I've heard of problems with the bumper on my particular sheet set shrinking, even when it was not put in the dryer.

FYI I have a Sealy Stain Protection Crib Mattress Pad, and a Glenna Jean Barnyard Friends sheet set (with the bumpers).

Thanks in advance!

jec2
11-28-2003, 05:12 PM
I washed mine before putting them on the bed. No doubt you will have to wash them over the course of their use because of typical baby messes. If you wash according to the instructions then you probably won't have problems..well, hopefully!

vikivoly
11-30-2003, 11:45 PM
I washed the mattress pad, but not the bumper.

amp
12-01-2003, 08:46 AM
Definitely wash first! ;-)

hellokitty1
12-02-2003, 02:21 PM
Definitely wash the bumper bc your baby will likely mouth a part of it at some point. As for the mattress pad, even though the baby doesn't touch it directly, I would stil feel better about washing it. You never know where it's been or what germs might be on it from the factory. I think if you follow the washing instructions, you'll be fine.

esianoyam3
12-02-2003, 09:03 PM
I washed ALL of my crib bedding before putting it on the bed... Maybe it was just part of the "nesting instinct." Plus, I didn't really like the way any of the bedding smelled when it came out of the package...