PDA

View Full Version : Product Tester Review: Fleece Baby Safety Crib Sheet

COElizabeth
11-29-2003, 10:56 PM
Thanks to Alan and Denise, I have had the opportunity to test a pink Fleece Baby crib sheet for the past month (available at fleecebaby.com), and per their request I am posting a review here.

Presentation: The sheet was simply but attractively packaged in a white tulle bag tied with a white ribbon with silver clouds and stars. The "fleece baby" tag is darling with a little lamb against a star-studded green background. The inside of the tag contains instructions, company contact information, and a space to fill in "to" and "from" for gifts. The instructions say to machine wash but do not indicate a temperature (I used warm) and to tumble dry on low heat.

Comfort: The fleece fabric is thick and incredibly soft and luxurious. As soon as I felt it, my PBK cotton sheets seemed so thin in comparison, and I wanted a fleece sheet for my bed! While I love the idea of fleece for a crib sheet, especially in winter, I think a fleece sheet for a Pack N Play would be even more appreciated, since the mattresses on Pack N Plays tend to be thin and noisy. The fleece would really add a lot of comfort and quiet to them, I would think.

Color: The color is a fairly deep pink but still pastel. I think it is a little bit lighter than the pink in PBK bedding (I took the sheet in to a store for comparison), but it would coordinate well with the PBK things (and probably most other pink baby bedding). The sheet is also available in blue, yellow, and white. I would like to see a pastel green that would coordinate with my PBK bedding, too!

Fit: My biggest criticism is that the fit seems a little off. The corners don’t match exactly with the corners of my crib mattress, and they hang down a little on the ends of the crib. The sheet is long and wide enough to cover the top of the mattress, but the fleece does not completely cover the mattress sides or ends. The sides of the sheet have elastic at the edge, but the sheet is not quite wide enough for the elastic to reach under the mattress on both sides. I am not worried about the sheet coming off the mattress, because at either end, the fleece is attached to a deep mesh pocket with elastic edges that wrap under the end of the mattress to keep the sheet well secured. Still, it would be nice to have the fabric and elastic tucked under the mattress all the way around. I should note that I dried the sheet on medium heat instead of low, so I may have shrunk the fabric slightly, but my dryer has an electronic moisture sensor and rarely shrinks clothes because they don’t get terribly hot, so I don’t think that the drying was the problem.

Ease of use: The sheet takes a little longer to put on than traditional sheets because of the deep pockets on the ends, but the time difference is minimal.

Durability: I have washed and dried the sheet several times over the past month, and the fleece has held up pretty well. It is still soft and has minimal pilling. After the most recent washing, though, the mesh pocket tore loose from the fleece in one small area. I think perhaps the stitching attaching it to the fleece should be better reinforced.

Value: The only other company I know of that sells a fleece crib sheet is Lands’ End, which I believe just introduced a sheet in blue, pink, and white for $42. The Fleece Baby sheets are $39.99.

Summary: I would definitely recommend the Fleece Baby sheets for comfort. My only hesitations in buying one right now (in a more appropriate color for my boy’s room!) are the fit (for esthetic purposes – again, I am not worried about the sheet coming off the mattress) and the durability of the mesh pockets. I think these sheets are a great idea, and if the kinks in the fit and mesh stitching are worked out, I would definitely buy them for myself and others.

Thanks for the opportunity to test the sheet!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

houseof3boys
11-30-2003, 12:52 PM
Thanks Elizabeth! I'm sure James appreciated the pink sheet for the past month. :)

I want a fleece sheet for my bed too!!!!

COElizabeth
11-30-2003, 01:56 PM
LOL. Fortunately, DH is all about practicality, not aesthetics, so he didn't mind the pink in his son's room!

Dcclerk
12-01-2003, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the thorough review, Elizabeth. I've been thinking of getting one of these for DS, so I really appreciate your discussion of both the pros and the cons. I, too, would have a tough time with the sides not wrapping all the way around the mattress, because you definitely see the sides of the mattress in DS's crib. I may still get one, but I appreciate the "warning".

And I'm really impressed with your DH. Just yesterday, my DH was telling me that RED of all colors is not a boy color, so I can only imagine what his response to a pink sheet would be!

athensmom
12-01-2003, 11:44 AM
Hi Everyone! I'm Jen Fleece from Fleece Baby. Thanks so much for the review Elizabeth, and to everyone who has posted about us. I'm still trying to work out the kinks with the fit so that its easy to get on and off, but still fits properly. The feedback from the board had been a HUGE help!! I will let everyone know when I have the design redone. The pack n' play sheets should be available this spring. Thanks everyone SO much for all of your support. I'm a stay at home mom with two girls 3 and 6 months. This business has been my way of being able to stay home with them.

Jen -
mom to Eloise 5/20/03 and Killan 10/31/00

COElizabeth
12-01-2003, 03:05 PM
Jen,

Thanks for the update! I will look forward to hearing good news. By the way, I don't know if you recall or not, but we corresponded a few months ago when I was considering buying one of your sheets for my friend in London. I just wanted to let you know that I found out her crib is a different size from standard U.S. ones. I know you have your hands full with the stateside products, but at some point a European version would be great, too!

justlearning
12-04-2003, 01:23 AM
I just received my Fleece Baby sheet and wanted to say how happy I am with it. I bought it because my son has eczema and I had read on this board that sleeping on the fleece sheet had helped another baby's eczema improve.

I washed it yesterday in cold water and dried it on low before putting it on his mattress. It was easy to put on (I like the deep pockets on the ends) and fit my mattress perfectly. I have the foam mattress from Babycenter that's the equivalent of a Colgate Classica I, and all of the sides of the mattress were covered by the sheet. There was just enough material for it to reach under the mattress on both sides of the mattress width-wise, though, so I could see that it may not fit it completly if there was any shrinkage.

The sheet is so much softer and more luxurious than I even thought it was going to be, so I'm hopeful that it will help decrease my son's redness on his face in the mornings. (I'll post an update on that once I've used it more.) When my mom, who was visiting us, felt the sheet yesterday, she exclaimed "I want one for my bed!" When my husband came home later, his reaction was exactly the same. So, Jen... maybe you should consider adult fleece sheets. :)

One last comment about Fleece Baby... I called Jen when placing my order rather than doing it online and just wanted to say that she was the sweetest person whom I've ever ordered from--she gave excellent customer service and shipped the sheet out to me the next morning. I am so thankful for how this board has helped me to learn about products from WAHMs that I otherwise would have never heard about--it feels great to support their businesses rather than buying from large companies. So for those of you who posted about fleece baby sheets (I don't have a time to do a search to find those posts I read), my son and I thank you! :)

athensmom
12-05-2003, 02:50 PM
I do remember, Elizabeth! Its funny that you say that about the European sizes. At the time I had asked my best friend, who is from England, if she knew about the sizes. Unfortunately she had a baby after she came to the US.

Next year we are planning (with my friend's help) start marketing them in London. We'd love any info on the differences in the European style mattresses.

And, Anne thanks SOOO much for the wonderful comment. I too love to support WAHM sites. You should also see www.bonnybabies.com for other great WAHM products. I got Eloise the hands free bottle there a few weeks ago. For those of you that use bottles - this is a miracle!!
Its especially great for the car or stroller.

Jen
mom to Eloise 5/20/03
and Killan 10/31/00