PDA

View Full Version : Blanket for swaddling very big baby

Jen143
01-13-2004, 02:56 PM
Hi! My son is just about 3 months old, and sleeps well when he's swaddled. The problem is he has outgrown his receiving blankets and we are going crazy trying to get him to sleep. I was checking out other swaddling blankets online, but they all seem like they'd be too small for him. He is about 25 inches long and weighs close to 16 lbs. He is already wearing clothes size 6 - 9 months. The receiving blankets barely fit around him anymore, and definitely don't keep his arms inside. HELP! I really don't want to spend a lot of money on a special swaddling blanket he'll outgrow in 2 weeks. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance!

Jen

Momof3Labs
01-13-2004, 04:26 PM
Go to a fabric store (JoAnn's, Hobby Lobby, even Wal-Mart) and buy some flannel. Hem the edges, and voila! An inexpensive, custom size swaddling blanket. I made a few of these, and they were our favorite receiving blankets. They were so much softer than the cheapos sold in most stores.

peanut4us
01-15-2004, 02:53 PM
ALong that same vein, you can also use 2 pieces of fabric back to back and sew them together inside out, leaving a hole for turning, then just whipstitch that up. If you or a friend has a serger, you can use some wooly lock thread and a rolled hem. Super fast and easy.

My mom just gave my DD a blanket from Gymboree, it was much bigger than most receiving blankets. You could look at that, but they are kind of pricey.

TaChapm2
01-15-2004, 10:44 PM
We use the Comfort Silkie Cover Me Once and Cover Me Twice blankets from the Comfort Silkie Company. One is a single flanel and the other is a double flanel blanket. They are both trimmed in satin. These are very high quality blankets and wash up great. DS is in the 95% in all areas and at 14 mos. we can still swaddle him in these blankets. They are really big and 100% worth the money.

Tara
Mommy to Jackson (11-10-02)

heidi_timms
01-15-2004, 11:36 PM
I also had to make my own because we still swaddle with the arms out at 8 1/2 months! My DD sleeps better this way. I bought either 1 yard pieces and some that are 1 1/4 yard piece of flanned and zig zagged the edges with a narrow zig zag stitch. I searched everywhere for bigger blankets and couldn't find anything reasonable. I do have one gymboree blanket, but the flannel ones swaddle much tighter.

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

Ang6
01-17-2004, 08:08 PM
Hi,

A company called 3 Marthas makes a huge receiving blanket that is also THIN so it doesn't overheat the baby. We LOVE ours!

gour0
01-26-2004, 12:16 PM
I made my own as well, but couldn't figure out how to use the large square blankets. I made my own version of a swaddle me/AMB. You can pm me, I think, if you want the dimensions.

JenaW
01-26-2004, 04:03 PM
We also made our own. I just bought a bunch of fleece from JoAnns. I cut the edges with pinking scissors and didn't even need to sew a thing, but if you do sew, my mom edged some with wide grossgrain ribbon and it looks adorable! I loved the fleece becuase it kept my son warm and it was slightly stretchy, which worked great to swaddle. You can get as large as a piece of material as you want! Now that we don't swaddle any more, I use them on the floor in the living room or his bedroom when we are playing.

Jera
Mom to Carter ~ 05.13.03