PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard of a Taggies Blanket

ladythebabygirl
01-14-2004, 11:58 PM
Hi,
A friend of mine has a blanket that is made of fleece and it has tags along the edge and it supposedly is comforting to the baby the tags cause they are all differnet textures? Anyone heard of these i know there is a website for them called www.taggies.com
i was thinking of buying the larget blanket for baby cuase we are getting bumpers from a friend. and then to get the taggies pillow and small security blanket all for 100 dollars.

What do u all think?

Imperia
01-15-2004, 02:27 AM
I am a little confused as to if you mean for the crib bedding, or as a security type blanket. I have seen the "taggies" blankets, in fact someone made me one by hand. They are really meant to be used as a comfort object more than crib bedding. I wouldn't really want to leave an infant alone with one for long periods of time (such as in a crib) with one because if a tag came off they could choke on it. As for the pillow, unless you are planning to use it outside of teh crib as some sort of decoration don't even bother. You are never supposed to have a pillow in a crib with an infant. They are a suffocation risk.

Imperia

houseof3boys
01-15-2004, 09:48 AM
We have a taggie and love it. There are several people that sing the praises of this blankie and there are also several WAHM's that make something similar but not as expensive as the original Taggies blanket.

I would just buy the blanket and see if your baby likes it before you go spending $100 though! You can always go back and get the pillow since they sell Taggies blankets at stores, on the web and on ebay.

EDITED: I was going to add that you know you are not supposed to put these things in the crib initially due to it being a huge risk for SIDS, but I see that the "warning" was already posted. Even at 7 months, I don't put the taggie in his crib. I thought he was old enough and the one time I did it, he was smooshed against the blanket and the bumper! Scary.

amp
01-15-2004, 11:18 AM
It is recommended that you not use any bedding in the crib besides a well fitting crib sheet (and we used a mattress pad under the sheet, and a sheet saver on top). Blankets, unless the baby is swaddled very tightly, are a suffocation hazard and a SIDS risk. Bumpers can also be a risk, but lots of people use them. A taggie blanket, or any blanket, would be better used either as a security blanket or as a blanket when the baby is not sleeping (for lying on or being cuddled in).

kensjen
01-15-2004, 02:09 PM
My son loves his taggies blankie as a security type of blankie. He will sit and chew on the tags and sometimes fall asleep holding it. He was not interested in this until he was around 3 months old or so. I don't think I would buy any of the other stuff, it is not necessary, and your baby may not even like the tags.

I thought about getting the bigger blanket now that my son is starting to roll around, he may like to scoot over to the tags, etc....but I would never use it for his crib.

Maybe start out with the little blanket when the baby is a bit older and see....

s7714
01-15-2004, 06:17 PM
Lillian Vernon has the little blankets on sale right now and their personalization is free vs. the additional $6 they charge on the Taggies website. (Although it would still be cheaper at taggies.com if you don't want the personalization.) http://www.lillianvernon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=29842&catTree=10088&clearance=0

I was going to buy one from LV a while back, but I decided to just make one instead. Cost me maybe $8 total for all the ribbon and small cut of fleece. DD was always sucking on the tags of everything else, so I knew she'd like this.

Jennifer
Mommy to Annalia 03/03/03

Jennamax
01-18-2004, 03:46 PM
I love the Taggies blankets, but I don't know if I'd use it in the crib. I'd like to get one or two, but I'd probably just use them when I'm holding him until he's older.

natesmom
02-06-2006, 09:50 AM
I agree with all of the messages regarding keeping additional bedding out of the crib due to SIDS risks, but Taggies are wonderful for when baby is awake, playing and cuddling - then of course when baby is older! We have purchased many Taggies for our own little guy and as baby gifts and they have always been phenomenal hits! There are a couple of lovely regular sellers on eBay that offer genuine Taggies at pretty good prices (cheaper than what I've seen on their websites) and I have always made it a habit to buy from them. Just type in the word "Taggies" in an eBay search and you will find quite a few! Good luck!

lejardin
03-26-2006, 03:47 PM
These blankies are adorable and would be so easy to make. I'm wondering if any "little fingers" have gotten wound up in the ribbon loops? Could be a potential concern? Thanks :)

mommato2boys
04-05-2006, 10:26 AM
We have the comfort taggie the 12X12" size, like a travel size. I used to put it in DS crib when he was a little older, maybe 10 months old. At first, he didn't seem to bother with it much, it kinda kept the extra binkys from falling out of the crib when i put it in a corner and put binkys in front of it. But then he took notice.....he loves his taggie!!!! DS has a monkey that he must have and he must have his taggie. He will sit and stroke the tags and fall asleep. He loves it!!!! Washes well, and easily. I highly recommend them!!!!
Now I ordered the big blanket for DS to play on when he was a baby, to put on the floor and lay him on. Keep in mind, it is a large blanket, I dare say it is a little bigger than my crib, or bigger than I would want for a crib blanket when the child is old enough to have one. In DS crib, I use the bigger comfortsilkie.com blanket that folds into a pillow, it folds nicely if you want to travel with it, it is large enough for a child as they are getting older (mine is 15 months, and fits him well, with some left over room) and DS like the silkie side!!!! The tagie blanket is kinda big and bulky, way to bulky for a crib, it might mush down more as more and more washings, but I can't see using it in a crib, but it does work well as a playmat, and helps keep any spit up off your carpet too!!!!!
The pillow would be nice as the child gets older, but not at first due to safety issues. But I think the travel taggie would still be more intriguing to them and they can carry it around with them!!! HTH!

manatee
04-06-2006, 08:32 PM
DD received one as a gift and loves it!

pampamz
04-12-2006, 06:45 PM
I made my own with a 12x12 square of flannel fabric and sewed in different texture and lengths of ribbon/ric rac/bits and DD loves it. Cost me maybe $10.00 in materials...