PDA

View Full Version : I am due in august should i still buy carters recieving blankets?

ladythebabygirl
01-15-2004, 12:00 AM
hi i am due in august and i was wondering if i should still buy the big carters or gymboree type recieving blankets for the baby for the colder months. the baby is due in early august.

What do u all think???

Mel

kaitlinsmommy
01-15-2004, 12:45 AM
I would definitely get some. Even in August, you will still probably swaddle your baby and they are nice to lay her on.

amp
01-15-2004, 11:19 AM
Yes, unless you don't have air conditioning, you will likely still swaddle your baby, especially in the early days and even in the heat of August. Newborn babies have a hard time regulating their own body heat and can get cold in air conditioning. Later you will use them to put the baby on when on the floor and later on for a bit of extra warmth in the car and the stroller.

Momof3Labs
01-15-2004, 11:39 AM
And receiving blankets make great spit cloths if you have a super-spitter!

peanut4us
01-15-2004, 02:49 PM
I would buy the normal ones from Carters. i don't know what part of the world you are in, but if you are from somewhere quite hot, look into getting a couple of waffle-weave blankets... they work well to keep baby warm, but they breathe so baby won't be too hot. That's what we used with Sara here in Texas... and she liked to be swaddled tight in 2 blankets.

JacksMommy
01-16-2004, 04:48 PM
I think you will use receiving blankets for the first few months (at the most) no matter what the weather. It was 90 degrees out when I brought my son in for his next-day check up and they told me I wasn't dressing him warmly enough, that his body temperature was too low. Yikes! That being said, if this is your first baby, it's probably a little early to buy that stuff already! People love to give receiving blankets as gifts and you probably haven't even had your shower yet. I got several as gifts and only wound up buying a few extras because I thought they were sweet, not because I really needed them.

Just my two cents!

Laurel
Mama to Jack, 6/4/02

August Mom
01-16-2004, 05:54 PM
Yes! DS was born in August in Ohio, but I still used receiving blankets for several months. I had lots of different types and this is what I liked:

Flannel receiving blankets (usually come in multi-packs) - I didn't have enough of these in the first weeks. I needed 10 or so, because DS kept spitting up on them. I used them under him when he was on someone's lap, as covers on the PNP changing table, as burp cloths and to swaddle (although a bigger size would have been better for swaddling).

Cotton knit blankets - I used these as all-around blankets to wrap DS in or put over him, generally if we went out.

Fleece blankets - I used these when I put DS down on the floor. I have a couple from Koala Baby at BRU and found them to be really soft and wash well. I also covered DS with them in the winter at times.

HTH