PDA

View Full Version : When did you give your baby bedclothes?

C99
01-20-2004, 01:25 AM
At what age did you give your child a pillow or blanket to sleep with?

I was looking at my baby book the other day and one of the first photos of me shows me in the crib, on my back, with my head on a pillow, a blanket covering my feet and some dolls in the corner of the crib!! Nathaniel still sleeps in his crib with just a fitted cribsheet and a pair of sleeper PJs, but he occasionally naps with us in our bed and he does fine with the comforter.

kaitlinsmommy
01-21-2004, 12:53 AM
I am waiting until Kaitlin is at least 2 before I give her a pillow but she has always slept with a blanket in her crib. For the first 6 months it was just a receiving blanket but since then I lay a waffle weave blanket over her. She likes her blankie and I have never worried about it but that is JMHO.

cuca_
01-21-2004, 09:45 AM
My DD has been sleeping with a thin flannel blanket since birth. At first I swaddled her with it, but she didn't like it, so we started just covering her with it when she was very young. (Probably 1 month). I just tuck the blanket under her mattress or if not long enough just tuck it on the side of the crib. Since about 6 months (she is now almost 8 mos.) I've been tucking it loosely so that she can kick it off if she wants.

Carmen

amp
01-21-2004, 10:55 AM
I also hate to admit that I have put a light blanket over DS since birth. First it was a flannel receiving blanket, and now it is either a waffle weave or a fleece or a cotton blanket. He does fine with it. He has always been so mobile and able to pull his head up that I guess we just felt pretty comfortable with it.

lrgeller
01-21-2004, 07:46 PM
My son is 22 months and sleeps with a hardish square pillow. He uses it most nights, or sleeps with his head on his "duck". You can usually tell when your little one is ready. As for the blanket.. at about 10 months I started putting one in again (I had one in until he rolled).

Hope that helps.

Momof3Labs
01-21-2004, 08:29 PM
Colin has slept with a blanket pretty much since birth. No pillow yet; he doesn't seem to need it.

sarahfran
01-25-2004, 11:49 PM
DS is too young for me to use anything yet, so I can't comment on that part, but your mention of the photo of you made me remember that I wanted to grumble about this: have you seen the photo on the cover of "Happy Baby, Healthy Sleep Habits" by Weissbluth? It's of an infant in a very cushy, padded sleep environment (pillow, blanket up to chin). I couldn't believe it! What were they thinking??

-Sarah
Mom to Dylan, 8/18/03

Motherhood is such a joy!

onlyone
02-13-2004, 10:08 PM
My daughter did not like being swaddled so she's slept with a blanket since day 1. At first, it was tucked on either side of the mattress, now I just drape it over her (she's almost 1 yr old).

As for a pillow, I am debating that right now. She seems to want her head on something--sometimes she props her head up on top of her soft plushie she uses to fall asleep. So, DH and I are trying to figure out if it's a good idea or not given how much she moves around her crib at night.

Just my opinion
md