PDA

View Full Version : Bampers - again...

anutalp
01-30-2004, 07:15 PM
I'm a first time mom (due in less than 4 weeks) and my nursery is still not ready!!! Please don't be shocked, it's like a part of our tradition not to buy anything or at least not to bring home. But I'm going to do this before anyway. I have all the furniture (in the store) and my bugaboo is still not here, hopefully next week. Anyway, I have a question to you -all experienced moms. I know that it was debated in past but it's still not clear to me. Do you use bumpers with your newborn??? Do you use a blunket? Anything else, what do you put in your crib? I know that the bampers are big "no" in terms of SIDS but why everybody sell them (and pretty expensive). What about a blanket?
I'm confused about all this.
I'll appreciate your help.
PS Also, if it's not so difficult, please post in which outfit do you put your baby asleep.
Thanks a lot,
Ana.

ghs517
01-30-2004, 07:21 PM
I used bumpers, because I think they look attractive, but when my DD started moving (4 mos) in her crib, I took them out because my pediatrician said they are a suffocation hazard. Stores sell them (and the quilts, which are nice looking but essentially useless) because, frankly, people (like me, LOL) buy them because we think that's what should be done or we like the pretty colors or because they come with a set, etc. If I had it to do over again, I'd buy only a crib skirt and Land's End crib sheets, which are so soft and inexpensive.

For sleeping, I put DD in a onesie and over that a Carter's sleep sack. We run a cool mist humidifier, and so the fleecy sack plus the onesie keep her warm but give her room to move around.

Hope this helps!
Gwen

anutalp
02-01-2004, 06:58 AM
Thanks a lot for your reply.
Ana.

JElaineB
02-08-2004, 10:58 PM
No bumpers, no blanket, nothing in the crib but a completely secured crib sheet (with mattress pad underneath) and the baby. My newborn wore a onsie, cotton footed sleeper and a fleece Halo sleep sack to bed for the first 7 months of life or so.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

anutalp
02-08-2004, 11:03 PM
Thanks a lot for your reply, Jennifer.
Ana.

Jen in Chicago
02-09-2004, 10:11 AM
Ditto! We actually had bumpers in, but when a friend of Jude's died of SIDS (when Jude started to move around) we took them out very fast.

LOVE the sleep sacks! I recommend buying them from the SIDS Alliance so they get some $ from the sale. SIDS Alliance has been a great resource for my friends.

anutalp
02-09-2004, 12:22 PM
So sorry to hear about Jude's friend.
Thanks a lot for your comment.
Based on all your kind comments I've already purchased 3 Halo sleep bags - one for newborn and 2 for 0-6m. So I put my small quota to help in SIDS research.
Ana.

CBB
02-09-2004, 02:08 PM
Ana,

If you do a search using "bumpers", you'll find several posts on this question -- I know I've asked that question here before. Many of the moms, at least in this board, didn't or decided would not use bumpers. The main purpose of the bumpers is to prevent your baby's head from hiting the railing, limbs getting stuck, and of course for decoration. I've heard that babies do hit their head and get their little legs stuck w/o the bumpers, but they rarely actually get any injury from these little incidents. Plus, once the baby starts to move after few months, you would need to take it out because they will use it as a step to climb up. Seems like a lot of money for waste. Since my baby isn't here yet, I can't tell you any personal experience. But I'm planning on use just the bed skirt, sheet and sleep sack.

Good Luck,

anutalp
02-09-2004, 02:14 PM
Thanks Li,
I'm also planning to use the same stuff.
Ana.

Jen in Chicago
02-09-2004, 02:48 PM
We skipped the newborn, and just used the 0-6. At the time we did not even know the newborn existed.