PDA

View Full Version : crib bumpers on outside

loritb
02-08-2004, 08:54 PM
Hi All,

This may be an odd question, but has anyone ever used bumpers on the outside of the crib? I received a bedding set that included bumpers, but with the danger of SIDS, plus the extra effort when changing sheets, etc, I'm not sure I want to use them in the crib. So I tried putting them on the outside of the crib and it actually looks nice, adds to the room decor, etc., but I'm wondering if there is a problem I might be missing. I probably wouldn't pay extra for the bumpers for this purpose, but since I already have them, it seems to work.

Any comments?
thanks, Lori

JElaineB
02-08-2004, 10:54 PM
One side effect of crib bumpers, besides being a direct suffocation hazard, is that they may restrict airflow into the crib. So, your baby could possibly get less fresh air to breath than optimal. I'm not saying this will definitely happen, but it is possible. My personal opinion is why use them at all if there is any chance they are unsafe; there are plenty of other, 100% safe ways to decorate the nursery.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

neosr
02-08-2004, 10:56 PM
Well I think the original purpose of bumpers was two-fold: (1) shield hard slide rails from fragile baby limbs and (2) decor. With your intended purpose, you'll meet the 2nd goal but not the first.

Secondly, since you're worried about SIDS, wouldn't it be just as just as dangerous if a baby can get a hold of the bumper ties? The bumper ties would be inside the crib if you tied the bumper around the outside, wouldn't it?

If you really want to utilize a bumper, I think it'd be better to get the safer types (thin, firm bumpers with both top and bottom ties) and to use them as originally intended (on the inside of cribs).

tlwpeanut
02-11-2004, 03:48 PM
There is a 3rd benefit to bumpers that you don't learn about until you take them out: they keep baby's paci in the crib and off the floor. We didn't use our bumpers much because DS was in the co-sleeper for a long time, but once we moved him into the crib and took off the bumpers, we received a lot of middle-of-the-night wails after DS knocked his paci out of the crib when he was groping for it.

Not that I'm advocating bumpers...just my personal experience with them.