PDA

View Full Version : Crib sheet lingo

astro_girl
02-17-2004, 01:03 PM
I began perusing baby linens and found that our local BD stocked a good assortment of Carters linens. I was also pleased to see that for less than $10, the fitted sheet scored a "passing grade" according to the Good Housekeeping consumer tests of a few years (?) ago.

What I'm not sure of is the difference between a port-a-crib sheet, a crib sheet, and a fitted sheet - all of which I saw within the Carters section alone. I had a difficult time finding the measurements on the PAC sheet package, and as for the latter two types - what's the difference?

Last, I'll probably go for a waterproof mattress pad for under the fitted crib sheet. Are there any caveats you can think of (i.e. making the fitted sheet too tight if placed over a pad) that I should be aware of? I also saw pads (the size of a changing mat pad) to be placed over the crib sheets (and under the baby, of course) that claimed to help save on the # of washing times by being some sort of soaker (drool or urine?). Are these worth the money, or no?

Thanks!

amp
02-17-2004, 03:49 PM
Portacrib sheets are going to either fit a smaller, more portable crib, or possibly a Pack N Play, or both. I can't be sure if there is no measurement for you to refer to. If you have a portacrib or a PNP, buy one, keep the receipt, check it at home and see if it fits. If not, return it.

A crib sheet and a fitted sheet are going to be the same, since a crib sheet should always be fitted. Although you can obviously have a fitted sheet on your bed that is not a crib sheet. LOL!

We also used a waterproof, quilted mattress pad and it did not affect the fit of the sheet. We liked the sheet savers. If the baby spits up or drools a lot, it is so easy to pull out one sheet saver pad and put another down. You don't have to change the sheets right then (in the middle of the night) hopefully! Then, later you can decide whether the sheet needs to be washed or can make it a little longer.

FWIW, we have 2 Carter's crib sheets and I like them fine, but they are not nearly as soft, nor do they fit as generously as the Land's End sheets I have. If you ever find them on the Overstocks page at LE (which is where I found mine last year), they are well worth it to purchase. They are softer, wash better over time, and fit better, so you don't have to fight the sheet so much to remake the bed.

HTH!

nitaghei
02-18-2004, 10:57 AM
The Carter's port-a-crib sheets do fit the PNP, and also fit the portable cribs used in day-cares. These are much smaller than a regular size crib. A crib sheet will fit a regular size crib. Crib sheets are always fitted.

I also second the suggestion for looking at the LandsEnd overstocks page. You might also look for sales at www.companykids.com . The quality of both is MUCH higher than the Carter's sheets. And you should be able to get them for not much more than what you would pay for the Carter's sheets. I also suggest getting knit or flannel sheets rather than percale, even for the summer. My DS always woke up when he hit the cold percale, even when he was swaddled. The flannel is softer and warmer. Even the knit sheets aren't as cold as percale.

HTH

Nita
mom to Neel 01/05/03
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD