PDA

View Full Version : Help me find wall decor?

drsweetie
03-12-2004, 11:47 AM
I feel like SUCH a dope for asking this, but where can I find some cute (but not too expensive) wall decor for DD's room? We don't have any kind of a theme or color scheme, so I'm not looking for anything in particular, but I'd like to find something that isn't too "babyish" so that she won't outgrow it too quickly. I am seriously style-impaired and have no idea where to look. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Edited to add: I would gladly make something if only I knew what to make. I know this is a lame request, but you have no idea how boring my house is. :)

laurajaney
03-12-2004, 07:43 PM
You can look for Wallies or Priss Prints. Both are sort of like stickers that you can put on the walls, but are easier than to apply than wallpaper borders (and seem to call for less of a committment). Wallies you wet like wallpaper, but are supposed to come off easily. Priss Prints are more like stickers that you can peel off and reapply. Both are inexpensive and easy to change when you want to make the room a little more grown-up.

You can find Wallies at many on-line stores. Here are some sites:
http://www.wallpaperetc.com/Wallies/walliesindex.html
http://www.homeandgardenart.com/walborwalwal1.html
You can also find Wallies on ebay.

TRU carries Priss Prints. There may be some other on-line sources as well.

HTH.

Good luck,
Laura
DS 3/30/02
DS#2 EDC 4/22/04

Cassandra27
03-13-2004, 04:35 PM
What about hanging letters? We got ours unfinished from www.woodlandmanufacturing.com. In fact, if you check out their home page, you'll see the letters we put up in Jenna's room (towards the bottom, on the right, the last time I checked). They are super-cheap, and come in a variety of fonts, heights, and widths.

Target.com also sells hanging letters, but for $20 per letter. They are very pretty, though.

Additionally, potterybarnkids.com sells cute framed prints personalized with baby's name. Of course, they aren't cheap, but they're so pretty. My favorites are the watercolor purses.

Cassandra
mom to Jenna, born 02/03/04

julierobin
03-13-2004, 10:46 PM
Greetings -- Depending on how cheap you want to go, here are a few ideas.

1) EASY -- You can go to www.allposters.com and find a huge selection of poster prints (usually pretty cheap). Find cheap frames at your local craft store (e.g. Michaels, Jo Ann Fabric/Crafts). This ends up being a fairly easy and cheap way to get something up on the walls.

2) CHEAP and CREATIVE-- Do you have access to an overhead projector? Some libraries rent them for $5 a day. Get an overhead projector, some clear overhead paper, and an overhead paper marking pen. Find something you like (farm animals, cars/truck, nursery rhyme characters) in a coloring book or print pictures from online. Either Xerox copy the print to the projector paper or hand trace the images onto the projector paper. Put the projector paper with the image on the overhead projector, project the image on the wall, trace lightly with a pencil then paint. I was able to get paint tint from a professional paint store, then all I had to do was buy one can of white paint and separate into several disposable bowls, add the tint to make the color I wanted, and presto… Hand-painted art. It is MUCH easier than it might sound.

3) SUPER CHEAP – Go to a wallpaper store that allows you to take samples. Find a few boarders and/or wallpaper styles you like. For example, trucks, sailboats, etc. are popular border themes. Have them cut you samples (usually a foot long). Go home and cut out the image. Paste directly on the wall or better yet, buy cheap frames, put coordinating construction paper in for a background and presto – Instant art! You can usually get a theme thing going. If you need more than one sample of a particular border, bring a friend along and have the friend ask for the same border samples.

4) More expensive – I was at Baby Depot and found a series of art prints with a transportation theme. I bought several of them to hang in the room and it turned my little baby boy's room into a more mature'ish room that he can grow into.

I hope you get inspired and have a fun time finding wall décor.

Julie, Mommy to Ben 8/7/03

hwin708
03-14-2004, 04:00 AM
I'm a big fan of the paint by number murals:

http://www.wallnutz.com/

HoneymoonBaby
03-16-2004, 12:02 AM
I'm not crafty in the slightest, but I'm going to try to make some art to hang on my baby's walls. Since his name is three letters long, I'm going to make three little square paintings/drawings -- I, A, N. Each letter will, in theory, be the centerpiece of a collection of things that begin with that letter (like, the letter "A" would be apple red with an ant crawling on it and a little artist guy painting the A). I plan to make the three pictures small enough to put them in a row above his dresser.

All of this is purely speculation, however, because as far as I know, I can't draw or paint for love or money. So we'll see how it turns out. But it's an idea.

mcades
03-17-2004, 10:00 PM
Prior to baby #1's arrival, I decorated his room cheaply. Bought a Disney book that had a collection of stories - hardback, at Costco; the illustrations were approx 4x6 inches. Bought a stack of unpainted wood 4x6 picture frames at Ikea. Bought basic paint on sale at Michaels. Painted the frames a variety of bold colors, cut out my favorite pictures & set them in the frames. Hung the frames scattered on the nursery walls. Ta da! To spruce it up a bit more, got Priss Prints at BRU of giant Pooh characters - hung one on each wall amidst the smaller frames. Adorable!

~Michelle

sarahfran
03-18-2004, 12:49 AM
I haven't read through all the other posts, so I apologize if I'm repeating what someone's already said... but have you looked at www.pokkadots.com (there's a co-op going on right now)? They had some adorable clouds / plane stickers for the walls.
-Sarah
Mom to Dylan, 8/18/03

:) Motherhood is such a joy! :)

cinrein
03-18-2004, 05:42 PM
Do you have any special kids in your life other than DD? We asked my 6 year old niece to draw a few pictures on 8 by 10 paper. She drew a girl and rainbow and a cat playing a fiddle in different colored crayons. We matted and framed them and I must say they are quite cute.

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03