PDA

View Full Version : Neutral area rugs at local store?

hellosmiletoday
03-18-2004, 01:37 AM
I'm looking for a soft, gender-neutral (cream, beige, khaki, mint green, etc) area rug...suggestions????

So far I've seen either super expensive oriental rugs (definitely NOT for a baby's room!), or the ultra cheap dorm-room type rugs at LnT. The rugs at the local PBK were not only expensive, but geared towards boy or girl.

DH and I are so annoyed that we cant find anything -- you would think it would be easy. We basically just need an oversized bath rug to cover the wood floors!

We also tried a carpet place but they dont sell remnants, so we'll have to search some more...I wonder if Home Depot sells anything.

cerrena
03-18-2004, 11:50 AM
I got a nice area rug for my nursery at Home Depot. It's blue with brown teddy bears on it. They had a number of nice patterns. I was also quite taken with a red and blue one with stars in the pattern. But the one I bought fits the rooms colours better. The rug is soft and nice to walk on but I did need to by a slip mat to go under it as I have hard wood floors. I paid $35 Canadian for it, which was significantly less then I had budgeted for a rug. But it is only 3-4 and they only came in one size.

crl
03-18-2004, 12:06 PM
We found a grass green rag-style rug at Crate & Barrel. I don't remember how much it cost, but a lot less than the rugs in Pottery Barn did. Good luck!

jk3
03-18-2004, 12:26 PM
We bought 2 light beige/khaki (not sure of the exact color) rugs from Home Depot for 49 dollars each. They have a fabric border and are pretty cute. We bought the 5x8 size-one for under the kitchen table and one for the family room. They are great! When they are destroyed I won't feel too badly replacing them. =)

athensmom
03-19-2004, 01:52 AM
I'm a believer in non-traditional rugs in baby's room. I think with the right rug you can pull off something unexpected in a nursery that somehow fits. I found for my living room a Flokati rug on eBay (great place for cheap rugs all around) for $60. Mine is in cream and its DD favorite place to crawl. It's like deep shag - almost like a bear rug. The best part is its machine washable. If you like the plushness of a bath rug it might be just the thing. Depending on your décor it could look very nice in a nursery.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2387517647&category=20572

This is a larger one I found for a decent price….

sbjf
03-19-2004, 12:19 PM
That's a gorgeous rug, do you know if they are made in a round shape? Or even oval?

ETA: I do see that seller has them in round, very nice.

A question, how does the white hold up with a baby? Do you clean it yourself, does it pill, stain, etc.?

proggoddess
03-19-2004, 11:23 PM
Not a local store, but Overstock.com has all sorts of rugs in different sizes and patterns. Very nice selection and prices. Shipping is very inexpensive, just $3. And no sales tax (for me, at least). So it's almost like buying locally. I bought the tan Capri Floral rug for our living room. They also have some juvenile prints. Check ebates.com for e-coupons and specials. We saved $20 off a $250 order.

I've bought a computer, some wall hangings, a throw for the couch, etc. from them. Satisfied each time!

stella
03-20-2004, 03:44 PM
If you see a carpet pattern you like at a carpet/tile/flooring store, they can cut it and bind it fro you - in other words, make a rug from the roll of carpet. We have done this several times and it was the same price to cut and bind as it would be to have wall to wall carpeting installed. Home Depot can probably do this as well. We have bought solid-colored carpet-type rugs at Lowe's, too. I don't know why it's so hard to find neutral, non-offensive rugs, but it is.

Good Luck!

Judegirl
03-21-2004, 02:43 AM
I've had good luck at both WalMart and BJs for decent area rugs in neutral colors. HTH!

Cassandra27
03-21-2004, 02:45 AM
The JC Penney's baby catalog has rugs in a variety of colors--sage green, pink, yellow, blue, etc. And reasonably priced.

Cassandra
mom to Jenna, born 02/03/04

rinnerin
04-19-2004, 03:21 PM
We moved into a 19th century rowhouse with all original wood floors so have experience buying inexpensive, large area rugs. My favorite durable rugs have come from Ikea, they make nice wool rugs that stand up to dogs and foot traffic and vacuum up nicely. Not the plushest rugs, but very durable and a 5x8 runs around $100. They also have some nicer plush rugs. Another place to look is Home Depot and Target. They both have basic rugs that will last for a few years. Finally, check out local furniture stores like StoreHouse, they will put their rugs on clearance if a furniture style is phased out. We found a very nice thick wool rug 75% off. Crate and Barrel is good too, and if you are near a clearance store (check the website) you may be able to find some large rugs on deep discount.