PDA

View Full Version : Please Help! Now I'm totally confused about mattress pads, sheet savers, UCS etc.!!

jkabopenguins
04-09-2004, 10:43 AM
Hi Everyone,
I just did a search and read all sorts of posts about mattress pads (waterproof and not), sheet protectors, the Ultimate Crib Sheet etc. I am now totally confused as to what to do. Can you tell me exactly what you use or plan to use on your cribs. Should I get a waterproof mattress pad? Oh my head is spinning. Any advice would be so greatly appreciated. Thanks!

P.S. I just ordered the Colgate Classica I mattress if that makes any difference regarding what fits and what doesn't.

--Jen :)

amp
04-09-2004, 11:33 AM
This is what we use. Quilted waterproof mattress pad over the mattress. Fitted crib sheet over that. When DS was young and still spitting up and having leaky dipes, we used a sheet saver that we put over the sheet and put either his head or his rear (both when he was small enough and immobile) over the sheet saver.

You don't really *need* a waterproof pad since most mattresses are waterproof anyway, but it sure is convenient to have something to stop the mattress from being all wet if you have to pull of the sheets in the night. You don't need to wipe it down. And sheet savers may save you from a few middle of the night sheet changes. You replace or remove the pad and put the baby right back down!

ETA: Never owned or used an Ultimate Crib Sheet and never missed it.

momma_boo
04-09-2004, 01:08 PM
The only thing I ever used (in addition to a regular crib sheet) was the sheet savers. When she was little, she used to spit up A LOT, so I always had one so that when I put her down in the crib, I put her down so that the sheet saver was under her head to catch any spit-up. That way, I just changed the sheet savers (plus, it helped to absorb some of the moisture).

We never had problems with major leaky diapers, but since the mattress has a vinyl-ish cover on it already I didn't worry about getting a mattress pad. Some people like to get the mattress pad to make it a little more comfy. DD never seemed to mind.

HallsofVA
04-09-2004, 07:13 PM
I started with just the waterproof mattress pad on my Colgate III mattress, under the sheet. Then, when my son kept spitting up, and leaving wet smelly spots on the mattress, I started using a sheet saver under his head to catch the spit up. Since I'm using the bumpers, it was so much easier to change out the sheet saver than the whole sheet! (Even with the foam mattress - don't know how the coil mattress folks do it.)

On thing I've noticed though, is that the quilted waterproof mattress I bought at BRU (a best buy at $12 something) has a vinyl backing which makes my son sweat more. So, I just bought the Lands End mattress pad and will be swapping the mattress pad out at the next sheet change (this weekend.) I have the same issue with the sheet saver I bought at Target (it has some sweaty material in it), but not with the sheet saver I bought at BRU.