PDA

View Full Version : FP Peaceful Aquarium? Slumbertime Gloworm? Other LONG light w/bubbling sounds?

akc
04-19-2004, 10:51 PM
Hi -

DD#2 (10 weeks) LOVES the Peaceful Planet Aquarium, but we have the original one that only goes for 5 minutes (DD#1 really had no interest and always fell asleep on her own). Charlotte is virtually asleep right as it stops, so then she opens her eyes and we begin again. We have a white noise machine in her room (straight white noise, gurgling sounds, and waves - I love it), so that's not the issue - it's more the mesmerizing action of the lights and soft noise that accompanies it. The music option is too much for falling asleep (We have the Symphony-In-Motion mobile with the remote for during the day. 15 minutes is key and we love the remote - she just giggles away.)

So, anyway:

I'm considering the newer version - the FP Peaceful Aquarium because it goes for 10 minutes, which is better. I still wish it went longer for 10 min, and can folks tell me if it REALLY goes for 10 minutes? She really likes the lights and bubble setting with the fish going round - again, at night the music is too much. If you have this one, do you like it? How's the battery life (we PLOW through batteries with the original one, but hoping that's just b/c it was old).

I'm looking into the Slumbertime Gloworm (the book one, not the actual worm) and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that it goes for 20 minutes, but does that only play music, not any white noise option (assuming bubbling is not a choice...)? How about batteries? Has anyone had it help their baby fall asleep with just the pictures scrolling but no sound (since we have a white noise machine already?)

Finally, I looked at the Leapfrog one but that got pretty bad reviews by folks on the boards.

Any other suggestions? Ideally, we'd find one that:
- Plays for at least 15 minutes
- Has pictures or objects that have depth and move in a mesmerizing way(like that the Peaceful Planet acquarium sends the ripples up onto the wall)
- Volume control
- WOULD LOVE A REMOTE!!!

Thanks for your help and opinions!

Alexa

inarash
04-20-2004, 12:03 AM
I haven't checked out the bad reviews on the Leapfrog dreamscapes, but we LOVE it! not only does it work on my 4 month DD, but it puts my 2yr-old to sleep as well! I also have the aquarium, and Dreamscapes is my favorite. I'm pretty sure it plays for at least 15 minutes, volume control, and the scrolling pictures go along great with the song/story.

Ina
Proud mama of Lucy 2/16/02
and Ruby 12/25/03

akc
04-20-2004, 12:18 AM
Hmmm...Hi Ina -

Thanks for sharing. Most of the negative comments were from folks on the BB Boards when I did a search - probably to do with the batteries? I went back to the BRU site and the reviews are mostly positive there. I do like the look of the Dreamscapes better than the Gloworm. I suppose we have the old aquarium too, so we could always use that. Anyone else love Dreamscapes? 15 min is closer to "as long as possible" - but, 4 C batteries is a lot to change. We have rechargeable C's but after a while they start to lose their rechargeability!

Hmmm...I'm wondering if I should just go to BRU and buy all three and see what works, then return the other two. Wish SOMETHING had a remote - I LOVE that about the SIM! We also had the Sassy mobile with the remote, but the mobiles are just too much and not mesmerizing like the lights in the dark.

Any other advice? Thanks!

Alexa

sbjf
04-20-2004, 08:29 AM
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/baby/B00005YVRN/reviews/102-1084001-0761735#b00005yvrn4050

We have the one I linked you to above and it seems great. No remote though and it says only 10 mins of music. Something to check out though.

vikivoly
04-21-2004, 09:33 AM
This is what we have. I'm not sure that it lasts 10 minutes, but then again I never paid a whole lot of attention to that. It does go through the batteries, but DD (who is now 16 months and totally dependant on it) keeps that thing going until she falls asleep. If she awakes briefly in the middle of the night she'll reach up and turn it on, so it gets A LOT of use.

jp96
04-21-2004, 01:04 PM
Is the aquarium safe to hang in the crib? I'm new to this and I'm wondering if it could possibly fall and hit the child?

Thanks

vikivoly
04-21-2004, 10:24 PM
It is designed to hang in the crib, so it is supposed to be safe. I've never had any problems with it falling, actually it's kind of a pain to take off the crib to change the batteries.

akc
04-21-2004, 10:33 PM
FYI -

To anyone following this, I went ahead to TRU and got ALL THREE of the FP Aquarium, LeapFrog Dreamscapes, and the Playschool Gloworm (also found one by Vtech but passed on that one; it did actually project a little scene onto the wall though, for anyone looking for that w/out a mobile; also had a nature's sound setting). I put the batteries in and tested all three.

IMO, the fact is that your child will get used to whichever one you pick from the get go (and, even then, may never really take to it).

The only one from these three that offered sounds ONLY - not lullabies, music, or stories - was the Ocean Wonders Aquarium, so we went with that. I do NOT think it plays for 10 minutes though...fairly disturbing since that was my whole goal. I'm going to try to clock it next time we try it. I know batteries will be a factor, but it's ridiculous if it only plays for 15 minutes the first time you use batteries and then goes down in time after that.

If I have to go with another one, I'll probably pick the gloworm - even though I'm not a huge fan of the overall look, it does have a little book page that moves through with different scenes (more than the LeapFrog one) and it can be set for music only for 5, 10 or 20 minutes. Now, I'm kind of wishing I had tried the VTech one from Walmart. May have to go back tomorrow and pick that up to try it as well.

Anyway, just thought I'd give you the update in case anyone is in the market for these. We use a white noise machine for general sound, so this is just a "distraction" technique that sort of mesmorizes her to sleep at that first night night time!

HTH -

Alexa

akc
04-26-2004, 02:52 PM
Hi again -

Thought I'd give a final update! I actually went back to Walmart and found (there was only one in the store) the Vtech Nighty Nite Nature Light and it is AWESOME! Plays for 5, 10, or 15 minutes on 3 C batteries, and they haven't slowed down yet (after a week and a half). The sounds are all digital chips so I think that helps.

It has both lullabies and nature sounds (YES!) and the center image rotates and little stars light up. Even better, it projects a little bear with stars going 'round on the ceiling. You can choose to have any of these (music, little center rotating, center lights, or the ceiling lights) off.

BEST PART...It has a "soothing sensor" that activates the soft lullabies if the baby makes noise/cries for more than 7 seconds in a row.

We've returned the FP Aquarium, LF Dreamscapes, and Playschool Gloworm because this beats them HANDS DOWN!

Only problem is that I can't tell you where to find it again! Walmart only had one, and I can't seem to find it online or Ebay. Local Walmarts or anywhere that sells Vtech might have more. I'm sorry I can't point people in a direction to find it. Halfway down this page, you'll find a picture of it, but you can't even buy it from them: http://www.toynado.com/vtech_main.htm Perhaps you could call Vtech and ask them where it's carried.

I HIGHLY recommend this crib soother. I'm thrilled and so is Charlotte (puts her to sleep everytime), and thanks for all your advice.

Alexa

jp96
04-27-2004, 04:41 PM
Does anyone have both and alternate, or is that overkill?

Thanks,
Jen

akc
04-27-2004, 05:12 PM
Hi - I'm back! I do!

I kept my FP Peaceful Planet Aquarium (that's the old round one, not the new one) and it is also on her crib. I find that it's still good to have a "go to" sleep soothing machine, so I tend to use the same one to establish a nightime pattern, BUT I use the FP fish when she's in her crib during the day and needs to be distracted, or sometimes when she's going down for a nap. (The fish are still mesmerizing and she's usually easier down for a nap then the end of the day).

All in all, I'm very happy with the crib situation. Have the Vtech one (whatever you get, get a long one), the FP Peaceful Planet (soft and hypnotizing), and a SIP mobile with a remote (ONLY use that for a fun crib thing during the day - way too much for sleepy time)!

HTH -
Alexa

jp96
04-28-2004, 10:42 AM
Thanks! Do you keep both attached to the crib or do they detach easily?

Have you heard of this one at Target? I hear it eats batteries too, but I think people like it.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-2/qid=1083161014/ref=sr_1_2/601-8682774-0211348?%5Fencoding=UTF8&asin=B00008X35T

I found the Vtech one at Walmart here last night. They had two left and each had a different package. One had pink buttons and the other blue and yellow. Not sure if they made different colors or if one is older. I'll try it out.

JP

akc
04-28-2004, 06:22 PM
Hi there -

I do keep both attached to the crib, b/c her crib is parallel to the wall (with the crib toys on the wall side), so it's not that easy for me to move the crib and detach them. They are pretty easy to remove - have little plastic straps on two sides and then a tie that ties to the rails. I don't think I'd have them detatched though - would never want to put it on EVERY time I want to use it which is almost every nap.

The one from Target is the LeapFrog Dreamscapes one that I tried. I thought it was going to be more exciting than it was. It didn't have nature sounds (which we like to use instead of just lullabies) and on the settings I did like, the same two things rolled around (and it wasn't the little lion in the picture - that's only on the story). Some people love it, but I just didn't think it was long enough or was really as captivating.

Hope you like the Vtech one - my DD LOVES the scene on the ceiling, and I LOVE the sensor that puts the music back on if she cries for more than 7 seconds. I would recommend that you experiment with the different settings and the lighting settings. Note that you can change the music settings on the front, but I think there are four different light settings on the side (none, more lights inside with the bear, flashing light only on the inside, & then the light on the inside and light projecteed onto the ceiling). We've used the 15 min settings (also on the side for 5, 10, 15 min) and everytime she naps and goes to bed (and sometimes multiple times) for 3 weeks now, and the batteries are getting lower. The light projecting goes dimmer first but the sounds are still fine, so that's ok with me.

Anyway, that's enough for now! Good luck -

Alexa
Alexa