PDA

View Full Version : Do Not Order Baby Furniture from JCPenny's

jraemcclure
04-21-2004, 08:33 PM
I was searching for baby furniture and found a beautiful armoire and chest of drawers on jcpenny.com. I checked with Baby Bargains and it stated that JC Penny was a great place to buy furniture. I need to let you know my experience. I ordered the furniture and was told I would be called when it came in, to schedule a delivery date. The delivery charge by the way was $199.00. I had to call them only for them to say, oh it's being delivered today. Meanwhile I was at work an hour away. So, I had a neighbor go to my house and wait. They never showed. They finally called and told me that they couldn't find my house. We realized that they were in the wrong zip code. I had to reschedule the delivery. The next time, I stayed home from work and waited, and when they didn't show up, I called and again they were in the wrong zip code. They never updated the file. The third shipping attempt, they called me 3 different times with different delivery times. They came the day before the scheduled delivery day with only one out of two pieces. They told me the other piece was lost in the warehouse. The next day, the other piece arrived. Part of the deal that I had with them because of all of the problems was that they would put the furniture together for me, which they don't normally do, well, they didn't. They delivered it in a box. When I opened it to put it together, a drawer was broken and the door of the armoire was cracked. They agreed to pick it up and refund my money, but not without about 10 phone calls and several supervisors. In the end, the supervisor told me that they have a lot of problems with both their furniture as well as their delivery company.

westchicagomom
04-22-2004, 02:39 AM
You should post this in the Nursery Necessities forum too - more people will see it there. That is really awful. I had a similar delivery hassle w/ Forever Mine and it is the most frustrating thing, especially when you're in a hurry to get the nursery set up.

They should give you a lot more than your money back. I would seriously write a letter to the company, mentioning that you posted here and it is in their best interest to reconcile this in a way that satisfies you (considering all the time and energy invested to date and in the future as you will have to make other arrangements) so you can update your post at a later date w/ the results. If I had seen some negative reviews about Forever Mine, I never would have went ahead and purchased it. JcPenny's (last I heard) is struggling to stay afloat and they don't need the bad PR. My Aunt was a long-time customer service rep for them and I never thought to ask her about their baby furniture.

I hope you find some furniture you like in time!

JElaineB
04-22-2004, 09:23 AM
You're lucky you don't actually have the JCPenney furniture. The dresser/changing table combo I have from them is a piece of crap (I have posted about it a couple of times before). The crib is fine though. If you haven't bought furniture yet, go to someplace local where you can see the furniture in person, and hopefully get it delievered for less than $199!

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

jraemcclure
04-22-2004, 11:25 AM
Thank you for your reply. Although I am sorry that your changing table is horrible, it's nice to know that I made the right choice to work so hard to return the furniture. After all I went through, I was really tired of fighting and I almost kept it. I ended up buying furniture from Babies R Us. I really love it, it looks great and the quality is there. It actually came in a timely manner! Which was good because I was very close to my due date when this all happened. I now am past the due date and still waiting for the baby, but that's another story!! jena

jraemcclure
04-22-2004, 11:29 AM
Thank you for replying to my post. I took your advise and posted it in Nursery Necssities as well. I did end up buying furniture from Babies R Us and I really love it. I also am going to write to JC Penny's. I just hope that someone that is thinking of ordering from there reads this and changes their mind!

jamsmu
04-25-2004, 08:54 PM
I just want to agree with you. JCPenny's is AWFUL when it comes to deliveries and shipping!! This holiday season, we received a box from JCP. I opened the box and inside were 2 gift boxes, one addressed to DS and one to "Nana." Well, I knew who it was from, and they don't have a nana. To make a long story short, I called JCP SEVERAL times. During that time, they informed me of what DS' gift was (ugly blanket) and NEVER apologized for the time I spent dealing with their error. Turned out, someone else had ordered this gift for "nana" and they couldn't figure out who it was. So "Nana", who would have received a card that said, "We're so sorry we can't be with you this Christmas, we miss you and love you!" and a sweater, never received her gift. JCP has no tracking system!! The Customer Service rep, basically yelled at me telling me that I should take care of the problem (I don't think she had too many brain cells left). The manager even suggested that I go to a UPS Store and PAY to send it back to them!!! Then, they finally set up a UPS pick-up from my house... well UPS showed up over 4 weeks later. Guess what? By then, Nana's sweater had been donated to charity. I never received an apology or a thank you for trying to point out their error.

The moral of the story? Don't waste your time with JCP!!!!