PDA

View Full Version : baby in one-bedroom apartment

georgiegg
05-07-2004, 04:58 PM
Hi all

I'm trying to explore sleeping options for my four month old. Right now we are mostly co-sleeping in my bed. Generally, I've liked co-sleeping and he seems to as well, but since I developed allergies and asthma problems in the last few weeks, my coughing wakes him up (lately it has been a disaster and neither of us are sleeping much). Some nights when the coughing has been bad, I've had him sleep in his swing fully reclined (and turned off/motionless) --however, this obviously is not a long term solution.

I have been trying to figure out whether the Pack n' Play thing or a portable crib will work, but I get the impression that neither of these options are so easy to fold away that I could set it up & take it down every single morning and night for the next 12 months and possibly for naps as well. I keep reading about people using them for trips or grandmother's house. I'm looking for something that I can use permanantly in my apartment but take down and store during the day,

So anyway, I'm thinking about either having him sleep in the living room or giving him my bedroom while I move into the living room. Or I may keep us both in the bedroom but move him out of my bed. Either way, I need something for him to sleep in. The point is that I have no room for a crib in any of my rooms short of getting rid of some of my current furniture (I could replace my Queen bed with a single bed, or I could get rid of the glider which would be horrible since he loves it, or in my living room, my futon sofa could go or several chairs. Or I suppose that I could put the crib in the kitchen!). I'm not sure what to do but we are definitely stuck in this apartment for another year --at best he will be 17 months old when we get to move. I would appreciate any suggestions. I will get rid of furniture if I have to but I still think lack of space will be an issue and the most compact solution will be best.

thanks
MC

cara1
05-07-2004, 05:48 PM
We rearranged furniture in our bedroom and our son slept in his crib (most of the time) in our bedroom in our one BR apt until he was 17 mos. Not sure what to say if you really can't fit a crib in there. My friend has an apt. in the city. She moved her kid (and kid # 2 as well) into their bedroom, and they sleep in the living room. They actually got a Murphy bed that they fold back up into the wall every morning. That would make me nuts but it works for her...

dotgirl
05-07-2004, 07:32 PM
When my daughter was 11 months old, her father and I divorced and I moved into a 1-bdrm apartment. I wound up giving her the bedroom and taking the living room as my "bedroom", but I did use her closet/dresser so I didn't have to try and figure that out. I got a futon that was pretty comfy, and used it as a couch during the day and a bed at night.

The reason I decided to give her the bedroom was that it seemed pretty inconvienent to not be able to stay up late and watch tv, or get up early and make myself breakfast, or something, since she'd be in the living room at wake up.

The only downside to having her in the bedroom with my clothes was that I couldn't change while she was asleep - but I quickly learned to keep a pair of jammies in the end table, and set my clothes out for the next day the night before.

dotgirl
05-07-2004, 07:33 PM
I don't know why I even try to post from work! This is twice today my proxy has double posted.