PDA

View Full Version : Question for Arm's Reach Co-sleeper Users

SeanaRain
05-08-2004, 03:12 PM
Sorry for the crosspost, but my DH really is worried about this. :(

My DH and I set up our co-sleeper the other night in preperation for baby. But we seem to have run into a snafu...

What do you do with the sheet/comforter/etc. on the side with the co-sleeper?

Do you tuck it in between the co-sleeper and the matress or what? I don't like the idea of tucking it because what happens when it comes untucked? It could get into the co-sleeper and be a suffocation hazard, couldn't it?

What did you folks do?

Thanks so much!

toomanystrollers
05-08-2004, 05:44 PM
I pulled the sheets/comforter over to the other side - making everything extra long on Dh's side of the bed and everything on my side short - just reaching the top edge of the mattress. We never had a problem with covers getting into/onto the co-sleeper.

HTH

westchicagomom
05-09-2004, 01:14 AM
After 7 months I still worry about it too although we have never had a problem. The bottom sheet is tucked in between the mattress and the co-sleeper. We don't use a top sheet, just two blankets to sleep under and I always make sure there is at least 6 to 12 inches between the blankets edge and the co-sleeper. I am paranoid so sometimes when I am sleeping the other way (not facing it), I will turn over a few times to make sure that the covers didn't fall into the co-sleeper.

Hopefully you have a queen or larger so that you can shift your sleeping just a little over to the non-co-sleeper side. It seems as if you tucked the comforter/top sheet in, there would be more likelihood of it pulling out and ending up in the co-sleeper.

BTW - I was a little upset w/ Consumer Reports because in their report on cribs they "dissed" these co-sleepers w/o even testing them or knowing anything about them. They mentioned they were disturbed by the idea for the reason you mention and also because the baby might get trapped between the co-sleeper and the mattress. Regarding the latter - when it is hooked up correctly, I can barely fit my hand in between them, much less a full-sized baby!

Oh and don't worry about this too much - if your baby is like ours, he/she won't be sleeping in it much - he/she will want to snuggle w/ you in bed (which brings up a whole other set of things to worry about!) :-)