PDA

View Full Version : best pre-made swaddling product

gremlin44
05-17-2004, 01:46 AM
Baby #2 will be here at the end of August. I remember having a heck of a time swaddling my son--my husband was the expert but I stunk at at it. I remember how much swaddling really helped my son sleep when he was little--as long as I could get the blanket to stay!

So, this time around I want to try some of the pre-made swaddling blankets that are supposedly idiot proof.

Which ones have people been liking the best and why? For example, I was looking at the websites for the Cuddleme and the Miracle Blanket. How the heck does the MB stayed wrapped without any fasteners? Does the Cuddleme really stay closed good and tight? Are there any other favorite brands out there?

(And don't suggest I make my own. I can't even sew on buttons, I'm 25 weeks pregnant, and I have a 20 month old son in the midst of getting his 2nd year molars. I'm all about convenience at this point! *grin*)

papal
05-17-2004, 09:05 AM
MIRACLE BLANKET!!! It has been a life saver. My dd turned 7 months old today, and we still use it for all her naps and at night.
Mike, the owner of MB is awesome.. the Customer service is great.. if your MB rips or tears.. you will get a replacement, no questions asked... i have used mine SO much that i am now on my 4th replacement. Seriously, this is the ONE thing i wish i had known about in the first 2 weeks.. we struggled so much with swaddling!

Karenn
05-17-2004, 11:15 AM
I've bought a miracle blanket for #2. Of course I haven't tried it yet, but I'm fairly certain that the reason it will stay wrapped without fasteners is because it is so long! We have wrapped DS's baby size Winnie the Pooh in it on several occassions and it takes several wraps around Pooh to use up all the fabric!

graysonsmom
05-17-2004, 11:52 AM
I never post here but when I saw the question, I was compelled. The Miracle Blanket was our saving grace when my son was little. He squirmed out of every other blanket. He went from sleeping two hours at a time to five hours straight. I recommed the Miracle Blanket to all of my friends. Also, I used Dr. Harvey Karp's book "The Happiest Baby on the Block" to learn how to swaddle tightly. Good Luck!

Jennamax
05-17-2004, 06:45 PM
I liked the Kiddopotamus (sp) swaddler. It was really easy to use.

jpang
05-26-2004, 05:54 PM
Another vote for the miracle blanket. A friend who had a baby four months earlier than I did sent us one as a gift, and I think it was one of the best gifts we received. It's very easy to use and works until the baby is much older. We swaddled our girl until six months because she was so active she had a hard time winding down to sleep at night unless she was swaddled. Some of the other swaddling blankets are quite small, and I think a baby could get out of them very easily if they were large or really squirmy.

The Happiest Baby on the Block is also very good. I recommend renting the video (check to see if your library has it) because it's much easier to understand the holds and shushing if you see someone do it.

olim
05-26-2004, 06:04 PM
Another vote for the Miracle Blanket. It was a lifesaver for us.

induetime
06-17-2004, 11:08 PM
kiddopotamus for sure. has velcro. no brainer. perfect in the middle of the nite. don't even need to turn lights on.

Judegirl
06-19-2004, 10:04 AM
After I tried the Miracle Blanket, I bought two more...and one for a friend. And my baby didn't even desperately need swaddling...but it really is a greta blanket!

Jude

helaina
06-24-2004, 01:06 PM
The miracle blanket is currently $3 off at babycenter.com. If you buy over $75 worth of stuff they'll take another 10% off each item. The sale ends today though.

tarahsolazy
06-28-2004, 01:51 AM
Another vote on Miracle Blanket. We got ours used on ebay, and it's been fabulous. Our DS is almost 4 mo old, but for the last month, he's only slept well if swaddled, and he can get out of any regular blanket. We call it the infant straightjacket. DS is big, 27 inches and 18lbs at 16 weeks, so he doesn't really fit anymore. DH made a couple, from lightweight cotton, and birdseye diapers. He is quite the man with the sewing machine. He made bigger ones for our lunker. Its the arm flaps that are the key.

connors_mom
06-30-2004, 03:56 PM
How many miracle blankets do you need? I would like to purchase them for our bundle that is expected in early September. As a new mommy, I have no idea how many blankets would be needed.

Thanks,

papal
06-30-2004, 03:59 PM
Lisa, i would start out with one.. we wash ours once a week.. but then again, i have had no diaper blowouts or leaks since (we cloth diaper)... but if you can afford it, nothing like having a backup miracle blanket!!

connors_mom
06-30-2004, 04:18 PM
Thanks for your quick response. I'll see if my husband will let me spring for 2. :)

gour0
06-30-2004, 08:18 PM
I used a small piece of masking tape to keep the tail from unraveling. It worked great. It was easy for me to rip but stayed in place when I wanted it to. I also would recommend two or three, sometimes we had two leaks in one day and needed another back-up.