PDA

View Full Version : Making own stencil

barbarhow
05-24-2004, 10:44 AM
We are moving into our new house soon and I am working on Jack's room. I have some wallpaper left from his old room that I plan to paper the kneewall with-the short wall in the upstairs of a cape. On the other 3 walls I want to stencil enlarged version of the rocking horse and stars that appear on the wallpaper. Does anyone know the best way to make a stencil? Is there special plastic that you use or will any kind work. (I also posted in the craft forum but no one has bitten). Thanks.

lynettefrancois
05-24-2004, 02:45 PM
You can make a stencil out of anything, but the best is to buy the blank stencil plastic things, and cut it out with a heated stencil cutter. You can find both at a craft store. I can't remember how much those heated cutters are, but I doubt no more than $15. If you want to spend less and the design is not very intricate, I believe you can cut the stencil blank with an X-acto knife. Some Wal-Marts have both X-acto knives and the stencil blanks in the Crafts section (look for the blanks where the pre-made stencils are). If it is a detailed design that is not very good for stencilling, or you want it just a little larger, you can look for a $20 projector at the craft store, and you can paint it on the wall "freehand" (like coloring in a coloring book). HTH!

barbarhow
05-25-2004, 08:00 AM
Thank you! I knew someone here would know!!!!

lynettefrancois
05-25-2004, 10:05 PM
No problem at all- let me know if you have any additional questions with it- I'm glad to help! I love decorating. :)