PDA

View Full Version : Is this the mattress that is still too hard on the "soft" side??

lynettefrancois
05-27-2004, 12:27 PM
http://www.babyuniverse.com/pro.asp?store=baby&lang=&id=40575
I'm looking for a soft but safe baby mattress. DD doesn't nap well and I think it's because hers is too hard. My mom found this one and I seem to remember someone talking about a dual sided colgate, but that the "soft" side is still very firm. Is it too firm?? Thanks!

HallsofVA
05-27-2004, 07:50 PM
I have the Colgate Classica III, which has a hard side for infants and a softer side for toddlers. We're currently using the hard side, so I can't speak to how well the soft side works yet. But, it's not incredibly softer than the firm side. I paid $89 for the Classica III, so it's definitely not the same mattress linked above. I think the biggest difference is the Visco foam side. Having recently purchased a new mattress for myself, I can tell you that the Visco foam is the memory foam you see advertised on TV (also called NASA foam). It's very soft to conform to your body without pressure points (but supportive enough to give you support). The top of our new mattress has visco foam. Having never seen the Visco classic mattress you're asking about, but knowing what my Classica III is like and what visco foam is like, I'd have to imagine that the softer side of the new mattress is softer than the soft side of the Classica III. But for $179.00, you certainly pay a lot for 1/2 a mattress.

lynettefrancois
05-27-2004, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the info. Now I'm wondering, what mattress did you buy for yourself? I thought all those with the Nasa foam were foam from top to bottom and incredibly expensive. Thanks!

HallsofVA
05-27-2004, 11:05 PM
My mattress is a Simmons Beautyrest, but it only has some memory foam (not complete top to bottom.) There are lots of mattresses like it out on the market. Price varies considerably depending on how "much" memory foam it has. It greatly reduces the motion index though, so I don't get disturbed when my husband gets in and out of bed. It was a wonderful investment during the pregnancy.

McQ
05-29-2004, 01:30 PM
I'm looking for a softer mattress for my toddler (giving the rock hard Classica I to the new baby) and am intrigued by this mattress. I just wish it had the softer visco foam on both sides since I won't be using it for an infant.

But I did find it cheaper even with shipping at this site:
http://nursery.babycatalog.com/baby-mattresses/visco-classica-mattress-VE615252

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

lynettefrancois
05-30-2004, 12:09 AM
Hmmm... this website says the softer side is for age one year and up. DD is only 6 months. Now what do I do???

vikivoly
06-01-2004, 09:05 AM
The softer side is always for older babies. We have the Colgate Classica III and put DD on the softer side at 3 months. I know it is not recommended, but she had plagiocephaly (flattening of the head) and we wanted her to sleep on something softer. As a PP stated, even the softer side isn't really soft.