PDA

View Full Version : Another question about bumpers

c2lane
06-09-2004, 05:55 PM
In the past week DD has really started moving around during the night. We put her to bed with her head at one end of the crib only to wake up in the morning with her head at the opposite end. I woke up around 1AM, she was laying vertical in her crib and had managed to get her head to the other end by 5AM.

She's also started sleeping on her side, even though we put her to sleep on her back.

With all this movement she's doing and side sleeping, I'm worried she's going to end up against the bumper and suffocate but then I'm worried about her getting her legs caught in the crib slats.

Do I remove the bumpers? I don't know what to do.

Any advice would be most appreciated!

~Carrie
mommy to Dillan Rose 01/02/04

vikivoly
06-10-2004, 12:00 PM
If you do a search on this board, you'll find several discussions on this topic. You'll most likely find that there really is no right answer and it is more of a personal choice. Although DD was never a side sleeper, she did do 180's in her crib. I chose to keep the bumpers in the crib.

StaceyKim
06-10-2004, 12:49 PM
For my first I never took the bumpers out (still haven't!) and he moved around just like your DD. For my next, I think depending on how thick the bumper that I had made comes out, I will take it out until she can roll over back and forth easily.
Maybe take them out and see what happens if you are nervous.

Jennamax
06-13-2004, 10:27 PM
I won't use a bumper in DS' crib. I never put the one that came with his bedding set in. I'm too neurotic about the potential hazards.

I have seen a mesh thing (links below) that you can get that goes around the crib, similar to a bumper. Perhaps that would work for you.

http://www.onestepahead.com/product/27205/218755/117.html

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2233935&cat=122954&type=1&dept=5427&path=0%3A5427%3A86325%3A122954

McQ
06-14-2004, 11:52 AM
Like Vicki said, this is more a personal choice and one you feel comfortable making. There's no right or wrong answer.

We're still using a bumper for Declan. He loves to cram his head in the corner or snuggle up against it. I couldn't imagine not using it.

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

jk3
06-14-2004, 12:12 PM
Even though our DS rolls around throughout the night, we didn't remove the bumpers until he was about 11 months old. Although I am the type of parent who checks on my baby multiple times throughout the night, I was never concerned about the suffucation issue w/bumpers. We removed them when we started to worry that DS would use the bumpers for leverage to climb out of the crib.

Jenn
DS 6/3/03