PDA

View Full Version : Best Mattress for Crib?

StaceyKim
06-10-2004, 01:01 PM
When I bought DS's crib, they gave me a mattress (because I bought so much stuff from them). But for DD, I need to buy a mattress for her crib and I want to get a really good quality one. Has anyone done any research on this? I am not looking to save $ on the purchase.
TIA

WooChx
06-10-2004, 01:52 PM
I'm in the same situation. I just purchased the Colgate Classica I because of its high recommendations, but I have to say it looks like a flimsy piece of junk to me. It is supposed to help prevent SIDS as oppose to coil mattresses. I haven't unwrapped it yet and I'm considering taking it back. My only concern is that I don't want the mattress to be too heavy because my crib is very low to the ground (Pali Rosalia) and does not have drop sides. Therefore once the mattress is lowered it may be hard to pick up to change.

icunurse
06-10-2004, 03:00 PM
We've been using our Colgate Classica I for a few months now and love it. It's sturdy, lightweight (good for those midnight changes), and definitely firm (DH laid on it before we put it in the crib and it barely dented). To avoid those difficult midnight changes, check out the Ultimate Crib Sheet at BRU.....one of the best things we've bought(only wish we had bought it sooner).

WooChx
06-10-2004, 03:27 PM
Ohhh ya! Thats going on the baby registry!! Thanks!

StaceyKim
06-10-2004, 04:27 PM
Where did you purchase the mattress? I didn't see it listed at BRU but I did see it at on-line stores. Did you have to get it on-line? I live in the Chicago area so I am sure they carry it somewhere close!

ETA: I just went on their site www.colgatekids.com and found several stores where I could buy it locally!!!

icunurse
06-10-2004, 04:41 PM
I, too, live around Chicago, but none of the places that sold it were near me. We found it online at a great price and free shipping (can't remember where and it was about a year ago). So, check into it....lots easier than bringing it home yourself!

StaceyKim
06-10-2004, 04:51 PM
Lazar's actually carries it and I need to go over there anyway to look at the new double strollers! I would probably go with DH and he can bring it in!

McQ
06-10-2004, 09:07 PM
Great Beginnings, Baby Catalog and Kidsurplus have good prices on the Classica I. I have this mattress for Declan and while it was rock hard, it was really lightweight and easy to manage. And rated great for newborns. The new baby will get that and I'm getting Declan one of the Colgate coils from Buy Buy Baby - although the Colgate people have been less than helpful (and that's an understatement) that I'm anti-Colgate right now - but it's that unless I find a different mattress that I like as much.

There's also a new top of the line foam Colgate Visco-Classica that's dual firmness with half being the Classica I that you can get from Baby Catalog.

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

HallsofVA
06-10-2004, 10:09 PM
I have the Colgate Classica III, which is a dual sided mattress. Cost about $89-99 bucks at Great Beginnings. It has one hard side (same as the Colgate I) for infants, and a softer side for toddlers. We're still on the firm side, and have used it since my son was 1 month old. He's been sleeping though the night since 2 1/2 months, and we haven't had any problems with it. If you want to save yourself some backache, go with a foam mattress. I don't think I could possibly lift a coil mattress in and out of the crib to change the sheet, and the mattress should fit tight enough within the crib that its impossible to change the sheet with the mattress still in the crib.

Previous poster mentioned the new Colgate Visco Classic. It has a firm side same as the Classica I mattress, and a softer side made of the viscoelastic (aka memory or NASA) foam. A previous posted asked about it recently. If price is no object, that may be an option for you, since that poster had seen it for $179 I think. However, I'd be concerned that the soft side of that mattress may be too soft.

WooChx
06-11-2004, 01:02 PM
Has anyone else tried the Colgate Visco Classic. I haven't seen one in the stores but wanted to know how it compaired in size to the Classica I. Even if the softer side doesn't work out for my new baby, when I put the crib away I was thinking of using the mattress for my old baby (Lhasa Apso).

McQ
06-11-2004, 01:07 PM
The Visco is cheaper at Baby Catalog - $129. Every little bit helps!

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

Jennamax
06-13-2004, 10:23 PM
I have the Colgate Classica, and DS sleeps like a dream on it. I like that it's light, easy to pick up and change the sheet on, and nice and firm.

hanesj75
06-16-2004, 02:48 PM
I haven't actually tried it yet (DS isn't due until August), but my wife and I purchased the new Colgate Visco Classic for our nursery. We have a convertible crib and so we wanted to get a mattress that would also be suitable for toddlers. Most of the Colgate foam mattresses that are dual-firmness it seems are "hard and harder" rather than with a softer side. I didn't want to go firmer than the Classica I.
Along comes the Visco-Classic, which as previous posters have said is a Classica I on one side with that softer "memory foam" (like a Tempur-Pedic mattress) on the other side. It seems as well made as any mattress I've ever seen - with the Classica I firm side having 5-ply vinyl, cloth taped and stitched edges, two rows of brass venting holes along the edge, and very square corners. The softer visco-foam side has a cloth cover on it. I think it will work out great.

We bought it from Babycatalog.com, which had the best price on it (also previously posted). We seem to be purchasing many of our more big-ticket items there (Dutailier glider and ottoman, crib mattress, stroller and infant seat), as they have great prices, great service, and the Baby Club saves us (and our family members) an extra 10%. Not affiliated, just a happy customer.

-John

>Has anyone else tried the Colgate Visco Classic. I haven't
>seen one in the stores but wanted to know how it compaired in
>size to the Classica I. Even if the softer side doesn't work
>out for my new baby, when I put the crib away I was thinking
>of using the mattress for my old baby (Lhasa Apso).

WooChx
07-12-2004, 02:07 PM
I drove down to the BabyCatalog.com outlet store in Connecticut this weekend and purchased the Visco-Classica for $129.00 - I'm SO happy with it! I had all ready bought the Classica I at another store (which I returned after I got home and compaired the two side by side). The hard side is exactly like the Classica I - hard. The Visco/TempurPedic side is still pretty solid. Its not as soft as the true TempurPedics that you see in stores (Brookstone, Relax the Back). It just seems slightly more comfortable for a toddler than the rock hard Classica. Since our crib is a convertible I wanted to make sure we had a mattress that would last for a few years.

I noticed that on the website it says the Classica is a 1/2 wider than the Visco, however the Visco is 1" thicker than the Classica. My husband pointed out its so the crib sheets still fit. When I placed the Visco in out Pali crib, it is completely snug against the sides. The 1/2 makes no difference at all.

Finally, another baby store tried to convince me that the Visco is the same mattress as the Classica III. IT IS NOT! The C3 is not memory foam, its just softer regular foam. Also, it is only 5" thick, not 6" thick.

amazz
07-12-2004, 06:05 PM
The Classica is really light--I carried it from the living room and put it in the crib myself and had absolutely no problems with it. So if DH can't go with you, you might be able to handle it on your own.

Angela
EDD 10/15/04