PDA

View Full Version : Paint Fumes

Raidra
06-10-2004, 10:01 PM
I'm planning on painting Colwyn's bedroom this weekend, and I'm wondering if it should be aired out before he sleeps in there.

How long should I wait before letting him sleep in there, and is it okay to let him nap in there, but not sleep overnight?

Thanks!

StaceyKim
06-18-2004, 10:20 AM
Don't put him in the room until the paint is DRY completely and I would definitely air it out for as long as you can before he naps/sleeps in there. Light some candles in the room while you are airing it out because that takes away some of the smell and harmful fumes (a contractor told me this).
I just had my DD's future room painted a few weeks ago and the windows have been slightly open and there is still a "new" paint smell in there but I am sure it is safe.

proggoddess
06-18-2004, 10:00 PM
Latex paint usually has less fumes than oil-based or alkyd paint. We painted DD's room when she was 6 weeks old Alkyd primer over the paneling, and latex over that. We stayed downstairs for 4 days with the alkyd, it was *that* stinky! With the latex topcoat, we slept downstairs for only 1 day.