PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Crib Sheet -- to get or not to get?

kitty0898
06-21-2004, 07:25 PM
I have heard good and bad things about the Ultimate Crib Sheet. Some people say it's a life saver, some complain it doesn't fit well and breaks down after several washes. I checked it at BRU and really didn't like the fact that the cover is less than 50% cotton! It doesn't seem to make sense for me to put this rough stuff on top of a soft 100% cotton crib sheet (which is what I plan to get).

Anyone who had similar concern and still ended up using UCS? In general , how is your experience with this product?

Thanks in advance!

Kitty

icunurse
06-21-2004, 09:44 PM
Love it! It is SO helpful with "accidents", excessive drool, spit-ups. I think it is quite soft, actually, and didn't realize it was only 50% cotton until you pointed it out (if you didn't do so already, open up a pack at BRU and feel it - the bag is resealable). DS has VERY sensitive skin and it has not been an issue. I've been using them for almost 4 months and don't see any breakdown (I wash in cold water with Dreft). I'd buy them again without hesitation.
Traci
~Connor's Mom~

bnme
06-22-2004, 08:54 AM
I found it to be somewhat rough - but to me this is a must have product! After thinking about it, DS's skin hardly even touches the sheet, esp in the early months.

I also used a Nojo Sheet Saver for spit-ups/drool, since that was our main issue (on top of the UCS, under head). They are softer than the UCS so it may address your concerns. Also even quicker to change than the UCS.

I used the UCS for about 14 months and then a strap ripped off. I could've fixed it but tossed it instead. It had seen better days (crinkled and torn backing). I am about to go purchase more of these for DS #2.

amp
06-22-2004, 11:29 AM
Never had one, never missed it. Liked the cute 100% cotton sheets I bought and used a sheet saver under head and rear some of the time to protect from spitup and diaper leaks.

CarolynnSS
06-22-2004, 01:10 PM
We bought the UCS in Sept for our first son (born Sep 8th), loving the concept that it is so easy to change when there is an accident. In reality, for us, it was extremely easy to use. On the down side, after only a few washes the snap ties started fraying and ripping off. By February we had no snaps left. I think if the UCS was re-engineered with more stable ties, it would be a great addition.

CarolynnSS

jvorhis
06-23-2004, 12:04 PM
I love the it. My daughter spit up all the time and when she started eating baby food there would be orange stains all over her sheets. With this I could just use the bleach pen on the stains and put it in the wash. I don't put it in the dryer though. It is also a live saver for those late night accidents when you don't feel like putting up a fight with the mattress and the sheet.

Jenn

Mommy to Emma
9-10-03

icunurse
06-23-2004, 01:40 PM
I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the sheet's stability, but the washing directions say to snap ties closed before washing. I've noticed that the couple of times that I ignored the advice, the ties did become tangled in the wash and that might lead to faster wear-and-tear. Just a thought.
Traci
~Connor's Mom~

babymama
06-23-2004, 04:37 PM
Another vote here for never-had-it-never-missed-it. We didn't have a spitter-upper on our hands, though.

Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03

TLC1994
06-24-2004, 07:27 PM
Just thought I'd add my experience...

I bought the UCS when my daughter was just born, but never used it - probably because she rarely slept in her crib. She was usually in our bed and I also don't think she ever had any leakthroughs at night.

BUT - I have used the UCS during potty training especially at nighttime to help save the sheet on her twin bed. I just put it sideways underneath her - obviously I can't snap it but it doesn't move much once she's asleep. It does a pretty good job and has saved me from having to change sheets in the middle of the night. Granted, it doesn't always work and if she seems to tinkle a lot, then it doesn't always seem to absorb everything. But, when it does work, it's helpful. I would not have bought it just for the potty training, but since I had it, it was helpful.

Now I'm expecting baby #2 and I intend on having her sleep in her crib (we'll see about that...) and if she has leakthroughs at night, then I'd probably buy a 2nd UCS for the crib. Changing the crib sheet was always kind of a pain.

It's true about washing the UCS - you probably should snap the tabs closed because I've had a couple fall off completely since I've never snapped them.

Hope that helps!

BethinMass
06-25-2004, 08:47 AM
With my first I always used it, however I dont think it was all that necessary for her. While I didn't love the feel of it, I wanted to make sure the mattress was ok in case we had another child.

With my second, I dont use it at all. It's just as easy for me to change the sheets, and I like the feel of the normal crib sheets better then the ultimate crib sheet.