PDA

View Full Version : Bumper Pad Dilemma

classyt
07-01-2004, 06:49 PM
Hi all. I am a first-time mom due end of July and have a bit of a problem with my bumper pad. I have the Dana Crib from Pottery Barn, which has 2 solid crib ends (no slats). I want to make sure my bumper pad is attached to these ends, but can really only do so at the corners, so the pad someone slumps in at the middle ends. Any suggestions on how I can SAFELY secure the bumper pad to these ends? My ideas are to use velcro on top and bottom or to add small hooks to the crib and then small loops to the pad to attach.

Any suggestions?

I'm also nervous about the bumper gapping some on the slat sides as well, so I'm considering adding more ties. Does anyone have a bumper pad from Pottery Barn Kids and have they had any problems or concerns with this?

shburks
07-01-2004, 09:03 PM
No,but I was just getting on to ask a similar question so I hope someone has answers. My crib has a solid back--no slats--and I don't know what to do about the bumper. Hope someone can help us out.

Susan

hellosmiletoday
07-01-2004, 11:34 PM
We have encountered this same problem with our crib. My mom made the bumper and it looks beautiful but I was worried about the fact that the two ends could potentially sag a little. I'm considering velcro, but that would damage the finish. We are just about to move our 7wk old daughter to the crib (from the bassinet), so we need a solution soon. The bumper is not sagging now b/c I tucked the bumper a bit in between the crib and the mattress.

I hope someone has a good solution!

hellosmiletoday
07-08-2004, 09:53 PM
We put a wedge incline in the crib to help DD with her reflux, and it actually seems to keep the bumper up, at least on one side...so its sort of a temporary solution...but DD keeps on "rolling" down the wedge and ends up perpendicular to the wedge, so I think we are going to remove it :( We solved the bumper problem but not the reflux! Maybe someone will reply soon now that I am bumping this post!

gramma2hannah
07-08-2004, 10:26 PM
Hi,

My only suggestion would be to use a 'headboard' bumper on your ends...you could then use the side ties to attach this bumper to the corners at the top and add an extra long tie in the center of the bottom and tie it to the mattress frame??? Otherwise, I really don't know what else you could do, except not use a bumper on the ends - just on your sides.

classyt
07-15-2004, 10:41 AM
Unfortunately I don't have the option of just using bumper pads on the sides because my bumper pad (already purchased) is all one piece that goes all the way around. I've purchased some industrial strength velcro that I'm going to test on the back of my changing table (same finish as crib) to see if the adhesive destroys the finish. If not, I'm going to go for that. In the store they just use nothing and tie the corners really tight, but I just am not comfortable with that solution. So we'll see how it goes...it may end up being just a decorative element for the first few months when the baby doesn't move much and then i may have to take it out.

juliew
07-15-2004, 10:25 PM
I will be facing a similar problem, my crib has a solid back to it. The person who is making my crib set, gave two suggestions for solving this issue:

1. Velcro
2. "Go to a craft store and buy a couple round wooden dowels. They come in all diameters and usually about 24" long. Get one that is about 1/4" in diameter. Shove the dowel between the crib and the mattress down to the spring board so that it sticks up just against the head board part of the crib. The mattress should fit so snuggly that the dowel will stay in place no problem. Measure the bumper against the part of the dowel that sticks up and cut off the dowel so that it doesn't stick up above the bumper. Then tie the ties to the dowels."

I am also very concerned about velcro taking the finish off, so may try her second suggestion once I receive my bumper.

~Julie

classyt
07-20-2004, 01:30 PM
Julie-
Thanks for this additional suggestion. So i'm assuming you would only tie the bottom ties with this method, not the top ties?

I'm testing the velcro right now on the back of my bookcase (that matches my crib) to see how much finish it pulls off. I'm betting it won't be the best option, but I want to make sure it's as secure as possible.

My mother arrives in a week and I'm hoping she may have some other ideas. I'll pass them on if I get any.

Thanks again.

Amanda

InTheBiz
07-25-2004, 01:29 AM
https://sslserver.com/inventiveparent.com/breathablebumpers.htm

this is an alternative