PDA

View Full Version : Cribskirt--Need or Not

shburks
07-11-2004, 02:23 PM
The crib I'm looking at has a drawer underneath. Will I want/need a cribskirt? Can't decide--looking for opinions!

Susan

Momof3Labs
07-11-2004, 03:26 PM
Do you need one? Absolutely not. But I personally prefer to see a crib skirt on our crib. So it just depends on whether the crib without a crib skirt looks odd to you.

helaina
07-11-2004, 03:44 PM
>The crib I'm looking at has a drawer underneath. Will I
>want/need a cribskirt? Can't decide--looking for opinions!
>
>Susan

Susan, we're due the same month! You don't *need* a cribskirt but I like the way they look. I think you should measure the length from the bottom of the mattress to the drawer and get a skirt that is about that length. I've seen photos of that online and I think it looks really polished. Or you could just get a really long skirt that covers the drawer.

shburks
07-11-2004, 07:02 PM
Thanks to you both. I know I don't *need* one, but I think I like the look, too!

Helaina--Due in November too? How far have you gotten on the nursery? :)

Susan

Momof3Labs
07-11-2004, 11:22 PM
When you take this measurement, keep in mind that the mattress will only be in the highest position for a few months, maybe 6 months. Then it will be in the lowest position (the middle position is virtually useless, babies graduate from it so fast) until baby moves out of the crib.

amp
07-12-2004, 11:02 AM
When the crib was in its 2 highest positions, we liked having the crib skirt to cover the hardware under the crib. Once we moved it to it's lowest position, which is right above the drawer, we removed the crib skirt, as you can't see any of the hardware anyway. Also, instead of spending money on one, my MIL found a pattern for one and made it for us to match the valance she made for the window.

helaina
07-12-2004, 12:18 PM
>Helaina--Due in November too? How far have you gotten on the
>nursery? :)
>
>Susan

I'm embarrassed to say we haven't gotten anywhere on it yet. I wanted to wait until I found out the baby's sex because I was going to do a very feminine theme for a girl. I just found out last week that we're having a boy. We're going to go furniture shopping this weekend. I'm currently thinking green walls, natural wood funiture (since it is cheaper at our local store than the darker stains), and cream bedding. I think I might do a train or transportation theme but I might go with animals. I haven't decided yet. I really need to get a move on, huh? I'm due Thanksgiving Day. I'm going to use the Lulu the Lamb crib skirt from babystyle.com which is long and plain cream. I haven't decided yet if we'll use bumpers.

Mommy_Again
07-14-2004, 11:02 PM
To Lori's point, when we moved our mattress to the lowest position the skirt ended up covering the drawer entirely - which makes it a pain to open but I dont use it that often. But I definitely think it makes for a softer and more polished look.

erbono
07-15-2004, 01:06 PM
I personally like the crib skirt look. I made the bumper, valance and crib skirt for my dd's bed. I am due in 4 weeks and will make the valance and crib skirt for the coming baby boy. I got the Little Sailor from PBK bumper and quilt. I like to customize the crib skirt so it fits perfectly and is as long as I want. I have heard of some people making the skirt extra long to cover everything in the high position and then hemming the skirt up when put into the lower position. I am also going to modify the PBK bumper as the inside is just white. I want there to be things for the baby to look at. So I am going to sew velcro at equal spacing and make soft objects that I can velcro to the inside of the bumper. Starting with basic shapes in red and black and with plastic mirrors and then when he gets older switch those out for fish, boat shapes, etc....

Good luck!

Erica

aim
07-15-2004, 01:53 PM
I liked the way it looked (especially since I didn't use any bumbers etc on the crib) - my mom made me a crib skirt to match the rest of the room and it covers the drawer (but I don't go in the drawer everyday, only for bed changes)

Amy

bostonsmama
07-17-2004, 02:13 AM
Just to reply to that, having a crib skirt can be a pain when trying to open the drawer, but I've heard from others that when the little one starts to try to open the drawer with the mattress in the lowest position, it helps prevent it. One thread actually asked that a while back and a mom said the skirt discouraged her DD from opening and closing the drawer at naptime...both a sanity and finger pinching saver!

LittleMonkeyMom
07-23-2004, 12:21 AM
I'm another one in the "like it, but don't need it" camp. We used a crib skirt on DD's crib until we moved the mattress to the lowest position. Then laziness won out and I took it off after getting annoyed with fighting it to get into the drawer.

SAHM to Charlie Beth (3/29/2003) and three wild and wacky dogs.

pennstatecowgirl
07-23-2004, 12:29 AM
I have a crib with a drawer underneath and I definitely want/need the cribskirt. The crib mattress stayed in the higher positions for a long time and I didn't want to have to look at the metal bars that suspend the mattress for all those months.

As well, we have 3 cats and they are amazingly fond of getting into that drawer. That pretty much blew the idea of storing linen in there. Now I just use it for extra bedtime books.

alkagift
07-30-2004, 02:54 PM
I didn't want one until I set up my new swank crib with all my matching PBK stuff and found that I could see right into the drawer underneath! I took it off when I lowered the mattress, but for as long as it was up the skirt was really necessary.

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

babymama
07-31-2004, 11:44 PM
Wow! THat sounds like a very cool bedding set! If you get a chance (and if you haven't already), I would love to see pictures. I had never thought of modifying bedding in that way. So creative! Just wanted to offer one thing to consider. I would make your removable pieces large enough and soft enough for your little one to chew on safely. Now that my DS is 8 1/2 mos and in the "everything-in-the-mouth" stage, I know he would go straight for any removable piece of anything if it were in his crib.
Congrats on being just 4 weeks out and best of luck with a smooth delivery!
Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03
http://lilypie.com/baby1/041116/0/6/1/-6/.png