PDA

View Full Version : How long do you use a bumper??

Emmas Mom
07-28-2004, 03:18 PM
DD is 11 months & we still have her bumper in her crib. She's quite the little thrasher at night when she sleeps & I'm just worried she's going to bonk her head in the middle of the night. I frequently will find her on her tummy with her head at the opposite end of the crib...I put her down on her back on the other end. Should we stop using it now or is it still ok to use? She isn't big enough to climb out of the crib yet, even if she could stand up on the bumper. TIA. :)

Emmas Mom
07-30-2004, 12:43 PM
Well, can anyone tell me if they still used (or still use) a bumper for their baby at 11 months?

kwc
07-30-2004, 08:31 PM
Our baby is almost 12 months and we still have the bumper on... not to protect her head/ arms (she is a thrasher but will find a way to bonk her head on the rails even with the bumper on) but because it helps keep the pacifier in the crib so she can find it. She also seems to enjoy talking to and touching the velour animals. She is a climber, however, and if we had a "firmer" bumper that she could step up on, I definitely would have taken it out long ago... our PBK bumper is very floppy though and smush down to about 1 inch when she has stepped on it. My greater concern is that she could get stuck under it, so I check the ties frequently but may take it out soon anyway.

kfcboston
07-30-2004, 11:40 PM
Actually, I'm seriously considering taking the bumper out now at almost 17 months. I've kept it in there to protect his head as he often ends up against the rails. But he's entering full climbing mode now, so I'm getting a little nervous. He's been standing on the bumper for some time (it gets shoved down between the mattress and rails) but hasn't climbed out yet.

HTH! Good luck!

Emmas Mom
07-31-2004, 12:48 AM
Whew! I thought I was being odd or something for still using it. Thanks ladies for making me feel better! :) I think, with my little thrasher, I'll leave it in for the time being. :D

tinkerbell1217
08-01-2004, 11:24 AM
I used mine with both my kids til they were able to sit up, but they didn't thrash around as muh as it sounds like yours does. At least not at that age. I think I took the bumpers out whe they were between 5-7 months old. My DD sat up sooner than DS. They did used to roll around at that age and bonk their heads every now and then, but my concern was they would get limbs stuck! It did happen a couple of times after taking the bumpers out, but not often.

marinkitty
08-01-2004, 11:45 AM
Well, ours are still in at 16.5 months. DD squishes herself into the corner when she sleeps and likes to lay her head right against the bumper. It also helps keep the pacifier in the crib as a PP mentioned. She stands on them, but they smush down and so far she hasn't tried to climb out. I have no immediate plans to remove them.

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03)
Another March baby EDD (3.23.05)

http://lilypie.com/days/050323/0/0/1/-6/.png

pixelprincess
08-02-2004, 01:25 AM
Ours is still in there for the same reasons sited by some PP's. DS travels from one end of the crib to the other, often wedging himself into corners so I feel it offers some protection for his head. Also keeps the pacis in...unless he tosses 'em out!

Ped said it was ok to keep it too! I figured if he started climbing I'd do something...ours is also a PBK one.

jbowman
08-02-2004, 10:11 AM
I came to this forum to post this same question, so thank you for asking it. My DD will be 8 months this week and I think that I may remove the bumper soon (PBK as well) even though she moves around quite a bit. I'm worried that it will give her a "launching pad", even though it is not a rigid bumper.

houseof3boys
08-02-2004, 10:15 AM
We took Ryan's out a few weeks ago (13 months old) and he seems fine when he hits his little head on the wooden slats. He "travels" when he sleeps too but things are fine without the bumper. :)

LANEAP
08-02-2004, 10:42 AM
I have read a lot about potential safetly hazards with bumpers. I know it is a controversial topic. I really like them and would want to use them but I am concerned about the soft bedding issue. Has anyone heard any more news on this SIDS issue and bumpers?

carrie_geiger
08-02-2004, 08:49 PM
I too wish this were a more clear-cut issue. I'm still struggling w/a bedding purchase b/c if bumper pads are such a short-term item, I can't justify spending money on a full bedding set.

I'd love to see data around the dangers of bumper pads. Thanks for posting the question. Sorry I don't have answers.

~ Carrie
due 24-Nov-04

Marisa6826
08-02-2004, 10:08 PM
Well, Sophie's just about 20m old and she still uses a bumper. In fact, I had to wash her sheets a couple weeks ago and took the bumper out. She refused to nap without it.

Because of that discovery, I just ordered a new bedding set for the crib that will go in her "big girl" room (we're trying to transition to her new room before the new baby gets here).

-m